PDA

View Full Version : Missa Fidei ZWV 6 - 6 XII 2009, Krakow, Poland

Elwro
21-11-2009, 06:56 PM
As the title says - the mass will be performed in Krakow in December. I hope this will be the first modern performance.

Missa Fidei ZWV 6, Magnificat in C by J.D. Zelenka

Time: 6 XII 2009, 19:00

Place: St. Barbara's Church, Maly Rynek 8, Krakow, Poland

Performers:
The Kantorei Sankt Barbara choir
The L'Estate Armonico orchestra
Anna Wodynska - soprano solo in the Magnificat in C

W. Delimat - conductor

[I don't know the names of the soloists in the Mass, apart from M. Staromiejski - basso.]

The admission is free. I'll be singing in the choir as a basso. :-) The concert will be a liturgical performance; the Magnificat will be performed after the Mass.

The project (of which this concert is, I hope, just a beginning) was only possible because Skiaouros was so kind as to share the scores he prepared with me. Thank you SO VERY MUCH!

(I corrected more errors in the scores and prepared the parts for the orchestra and the choir. Since some more mistakes might be discovered by the orchestra, I'll post the links after the concert.)

G.Reuss
21-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Great news!

Is it possible for you to upload mp3(s) from your preformance of both works?
Would be especially delighted to hear Missa Fidei live.

Good luck Leszek with the concert :)

skiaouros
24-11-2009, 04:31 PM
You did a wonderful job at correcting the score and organizing this performance.

Great thanks first to Germund-Atle who got the manuscript, deciphered it, and completed holes.

Best wishes for the first performance of this mass.

SK

Elwro
26-11-2009, 04:54 PM
I'll try to do something about a recording. I don't think I'll be allowed to post it publicly, but I'll see... anyway, I'll send you a PM or an email if I manage to prepare it.

What do you think - would there be any method of ascertaining whether it will actually be the first modern performance of the mass? I'd bet it will be the first performance in Poland, but maybe someone e.g. in modern Germany had already performed the piece?

G.Reuss
27-11-2009, 07:57 AM
It would surprise me if the Missa Fidei was preformed last 100 years at all, especially after 1945 since the score is damaged and how much work it is to fill in the blanc spots.
If anyone can answer you about your question, Dresden should be the best source about this matter.

paperMoon
01-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Do you mean the autograph score was damaged in World War II? I didn't think any of Zelenka's music was damaged by the fire-bombing. Was the score taken somewhere else and got damaged after that? Is it water damage? :o
________
drug test kit (http://drugtestingkit.org)

G.Reuss
01-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Yes, the autograph score was damaged at the end of WW2 together with several others of his scores. Waterdamage. Many of his surviving manuscripts were stored ... I remember it when I read it :-)
I guess several members know this fact.
Were was many of Zelenkas surviving scores stored ?

djdresden
02-12-2009, 01:58 AM
Some of the Saxon Library music holdings, including Zelenka's manuscripts, were kept in steel crates in the basement of the massive Japanese Palace situated on the banks of Elbe. Sometime during the two wave of attacks 13-14 February and 1 March groundwater flowed into the basement causing damage, some of which is irreversible. But thanks to restorers and the quality of the paper and ink used in Dresden early in the eigteenth century, a lot has been saved.

And good luck to Elwro for the concert! Hopefully we can hear the fruits of this very ambitious project.

Elwro
04-12-2009, 05:10 PM
I did two live interviews for the Polish Radio (the national no. 2 station and the regional one) today regarding Zelenka... hopefully someone comes to the concert :-)

Elwro
07-12-2009, 12:19 AM
It's done :-) I'm not objective of course, but judging from the public's reaction the performance was a success. The concert was recorded, I'll see what I can do in terms of uploading the thing during the coming week.

Scott
07-12-2009, 04:09 AM
If you and your fellow performers enjoyed yourselves, then your performance was a great success. The rest, as the saying goes, is gravy.

If you can't get the whole performance on the internet, a sample would be great.

And if you wanted a bigger audience, you could have given a little more notice on the forum.(always wanted an excuse to visit Krakow)

Elwro
07-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Well, what can I say - I'm sorry! I thought a separate thread in the "Live performances" subforum was enough. Anyway, I hope we will give you a new excuse to come to Krakow next year :-)

Scott
07-12-2009, 09:01 PM
should have been more clear. What I meant was a little more advanced notice -more than just a few weeks before the performance to allow time for adjusting schedules and making travel plans.

Here's to next year in Krakow.

Elwro
12-12-2009, 04:00 PM
If anyone would like to have a sample of the recording of the ZWV 6 Missa, please contact me by e-mail or a PM.

Elwro
09-05-2010, 10:34 PM
In a surprising turn of events, I found 3 videos of our December concert on YouTube. I remember noticing (while singing) the guy taking them, but I have no idea who is save for the fact that he must be from the Deutschsprahige Gemeinde Krakau. I am very grateful since his videos have better sound (although the choir is still too loud) and INCLUDE THE MISSING "GRATIAS"! So now everyone can have the complete ZWV 6 Mass.

Links:

Kyrie 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnC1eeQuyU (close-up camera)

Kyrie 1 + Christe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-4J9SalFDU (a bit more "far" camera)

Gloria (+ Gratias): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lDq5yWcQpk (misses the first note)