PDA

View Full Version : See samples from ZWV 90 & 164 by Collegium 1704

l'infastidito
26-09-2011, 01:55 AM
Having discovered that ultra-rare compositions by my favourite composer Zelenka were going to be performed by my favourite female alto Delphine Galou and my favourite ensemble (next to Ensemble Inegal) Collegium 1704, I just had to jump on a plane to attend at their concert in Hamburg. There I caught the three Zelenka works (ZWVs 90, 164 & 187) complete on my handycam videocamera, and now all this is about to be uploaded on Youtube. My shaky filming leaves much to be desired, but hopefully most of you will concentrate on the musicians' outstanding contributions.
Of course my top priority was Delphine Galous solo performances, i.e. the magical alto aria "Fiat pax" from ZWV 90 plus the virtuoso motet "Barbara, dira, effera" (ZWV 164) that soon will be available on CD, so I provided these first. Perhaps it was Collegium 1704 & miraculous Delphine's merit, but I actually liked ZWV 164 a lot more than I expected to in advance...
Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/user/STIANVF#grid/user/AC0F70F52253501B

PS: Because I was uncertain with regards to how (or if) the surroundings would react to my filming, it was limited to the Zelenka-part of the concert.
For Collegium 1704 & Gemma Bertagnolli's excellent interpretations of the Handel material, wait for the radio broadcast 7 October. Hopefully someone with better technical insight than me can capture the livesteam audio so that we all can enjoy this unforgettable concert in the future.

dpm27278
26-09-2011, 03:24 AM
Excellent post. Thank you for making this available.

dpm27278

l'infastidito
27-09-2011, 01:59 AM
You're welcome. And yes, it was an event too important to be missed.
Hopefully many forum visitors are curious to see also my two last uploads from this extraordinary concert, the complete "Laetatus sum" (ZWV 90), and "Hipocondrie" (ZWV 187).
Updated youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAC0F70F52253501B
ZWV 90 is the longest of all Zelenka's Psalm settings according to Janice Stockigt, and maybe my personal favourite within this genre - together with ZWV 57, of course. In spite of its distinguished status, this ambitious "Laetatus sum" only exists in an old, now deleted recording: Thus for many listeners, this will be the first and so far only opportunity to appreciate a true masterpiece.
Besides, Collegium 1704's performance of ZWV 187 is interesting to compare with the numerous other versions we have of this popular orchestral work.

PS: I do hope someone with enough technical insight will be able to record the radio livestream from the link below during the concert 7 October, so that we can enjoy everything from the unforgettable Hamburg concert: http://www.ndr.de/orchester_chor/das_alte_werk/collegium117.html
SVF

djdresden
27-09-2011, 02:15 AM
Great stuff. Many thanks for sharing. Good concert and good recording: I do admire your enthusiasm (and bravery!).

l'infastidito
27-09-2011, 02:37 AM
You're welcome!
By the way, I attended the introduction Vaclav Luks held before the concert itself, where he shared several interesting thoughts about Zelenka and his music. Afterwards I was even able to exchange a couple of words with him, and to thank him for Collegium 1704's three Zelenka CDs as well as everything else he has done to promote the master's art publicly. On my question about future recording plans, Luks confirmed my suspicion that the complete responsoria ZWV 55 were their next project. We still miss a ZWV 55-recording which respects Zelenka's intended instrumentation in addition to being of top vocal & instrumental quality.
A very friendly man with a good sense of humour, by the way...
SVF