PDA

View Full Version : Bernius/Kammerchor Stuttgart to perform Missa Votiva

Derek
14-01-2007, 01:50 AM
On May 4th & 6th, 2007 Frieder Bernius and the Kammerchor & Barockorchester Stuttgart will be performing the Missa Votiva, along with Bach's Motet Jesu, meine Freude. Two sacred baroque choral masterpieces (in e minor) in one concert. :)

The soloists are:
Joanne Lunn - Sopran
Robin Blaze - Altus
Benjamin Hulett - Tenor
Thomas E. Bauer - Bass

The May 4th concert is in Stuttgart's Leonhardskirche, and the 6th is in Flörsheim am Main. To anyone who's able to go, I'm envious!

See the following link:
http://www.musikpodium.com/simplicity/system/content.php?page_id=4&sub_id=22

Derek

Peter
07-05-2007, 05:12 PM
I visited the performance in Flörsheim yesterday. Thrilling. I heard Bernius and his ensemble once before, in a performance of the Missa Dei Filii some ten years ago. That concert started my interest in Zelenka as a matter of fact. This really was something in a class of its own: better played, better sung, better conducted. The performance had the same qualities to be found in the marvellous recording Bernius recently made of Bachs Hohe Messe.

When compared with the Marburg recording of the Missa Votiva, Bernius generally chose brisker tempi (of course) and he knew how to phrase Zelenka's orchestral lines at their most favourable. I always considered the last minute of the beautiful aria for bass, Quoniam tu solus sanctus, as rather weak. Bernius changed my mind. The way he handled the opening chorus of the Gloria – even in the rather sedate Marburg performance a very attractive piece – was rather a relevation to me (I did'nt know those climaxes could be so thrilling!), as was the aria for soprano in the Benedictus. I can only hope Bernius will turn this project into a recording.

Maybe there's hope. Why else would he programm this virtuoso mass and play it only twice in public?

After hearing this concert, I'm persuaded to say the Missa Votiva is Zelenka's musically most satisfying mass, second only to the Missa Dei Patris. That's rather a compliment for Bernius, I guess. A pity if you missed it!

djdresden
12-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Hi Peter,

thrilling, that's the right word for Bernius's interpretations. How I wish I could have witnessed this. But there might be a chance to relive this moment as SWR did record the earlier concert in Stuttgart. I will be keeping an eye out for a possible broadcast.

djdresden
02-12-2007, 01:12 PM
It had to happen! The Bernius concert will now be broadcasted in the evening of the 5th of January 2008 on http://www.swr.de/swr2

So now we can hear one more version of this magnificent work. What a great start to the new year. Let's hope there will be more and indeed the Dresdeners have something special to celebrate in 2008, as it's 300 years since August the Strong brought back the Catholic religion into Saxony by rebuilding the Court Theater as a Catholic Court Church.

Scott
10-01-2008, 04:09 AM
Thanks for the heads up. This was nice.