PDA

View Full Version : Zwv 175 live on radio 17.11.2013!

l'infastidito
17-10-2013, 02:45 PM
:DHappy days are soon here again!
Not only are Ensemble Inegal's CD premieres with ZWV 7 & 153 expected in November. Collegium 1704 is going to perform both Zwv 175 "Sub olea pacis" and Zwv 19 "Missa Dei Patris" during the same month. The Zwv 175 - concert will even be broadcasted directly from the Herne Early Music Festival on 17.11. between 20.05 and 23.00 on German radio: http://www.wdr3.de/musik/altemusikbeiwdr3/herne302.html . I'm looking forward to hearing C. 1704's alternative approach - with f.ex. a smaller chorus - to Musica Florea's 13-year-old performance. The four main soloists (Celine Sheen (S), Terry Wey (A), Krystian Adam (T) and Tobias Berndt (B)) are also first-rate. By the way, Terry Wey can be heard on the samples from the new Zwv 7/153 CD: http://www.nibiru-publishers.com/ukazky/ZelenkaVII-21.mp3 . Then, everyone.: Be certain that you don't have anything less important to do that evening, and that you have a reliable streaming download program ready. No excuses, you have plenty of time to make plans!
SVF

Xanaseb
23-10-2013, 12:56 AM
Wonderful! Happy days indeed. I'm actually even more interested with how Luks' will interpret Miss Dei Patris (which happens to be my favourite mass). Thinking of Luks' and his love for fast paced intensity and contrasts, the Credo sequence will be right up his alley!
I shall get a streaming program straight away!

Thanks for the news,
Seb

Peter
21-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Hi all,

I was fortunate enough to visit the concert of ZWV 175 in Herne last sunday. It was absolutely marvellous! Highlights: the duets between Celine Sheen and Terry Wey were very moving, sung with visible love for the music; actus III with a stunning Vive regna Ferdinande; and the epilogus with the final chorus shone radiantly, very lightfooted when compared to Marek Stryncl's recorded version.

The concert was a great succes. And what a wonderful piece ZWV 175 is! The crowd applauded vehemently and ceaselessly, with a lot of stamping on the wooden floor. But to no avail: Vaklav Luks wasn't persuaded to performe an encore... A very small blemish on an otherwise wonderful evening.

At home I met with a less pleasant surprise. It turned out that the friend I asked to record the music had problems with internet that evening. It turns out I have no musical remembrance at all of this great evening. So if anyone on this forum has a recording of it and would like to share it, I would be highly obliged. (Perhaps in exchange for a sung version of the unrecorded Da pacem domine?)

Best wishes, Peter

l'infastidito
22-11-2013, 02:06 AM
Hi all,

I was fortunate enough to visit the concert of ZWV 175 in Herne last sunday. It was absolutely marvellous! Highlights: the duets between Celine Sheen and Terry Wey were very moving, sung with visible love for the music; actus III with a stunning Vive regna Ferdinande; and the epilogus with the final chorus shone radiantly, very lightfooted when compared to Marek Stryncl's recorded version.

The concert was a great succes. And what a wonderful piece ZWV 175 is! The crowd applauded vehemently and ceaselessly, with a lot of stamping on the wooden floor. But to no avail: Vaklav Luks wasn't persuaded to performe an encore... A very small blemish on an otherwise wonderful evening.

At home I met with a less pleasant surprise. It turned out that the friend I asked to record the music had problems with internet that evening. It turns out I have no musical remembrance at all of this great evening. So if anyone on this forum has a recording of it and would like to share it, I would be highly obliged. (Perhaps in exchange for a sung version of the unrecorded Da pacem domine?)

Best wishes, Peter

Hi Peter & all members,
I was NOT fortunate enough to visit the ZWV 175-concert, so thank you so much for your passionate eye(ear)witness report from the occasion! On the other hand I managed to record the internet radio stream, and it's impossible to disagree with your opinions. My ears are actually unable to detect anything but highpoints: A clear, transparent, yet dramatical chorus, an absolute dreamcast of solo singers, who nevertheless must compete with the exquisite instrumentalists in the many arias with obbligato instruments. But Vaclav Luks makes the whole become greater than the sum of the parts. The effortless interplay between chorus, orchestra and singers is marvellous. I considered uploading my recording om Youtube, but someone was faster than me. All you need to download it is f.ex. the free version og Realplayer: http://youtu.be/tyb0KgeWa_4
However, I still have the ZWV 175-file if you prefer that solution.

"Da pacem domine" (ZWV 167) is particularly interesting because it cronologically belongs on the extremely short list of compositions Zelenka left us from around the years of his missae ultimae (ZWVs 19-21 + ZWV 29) and Zwv 18, from 1739. In addition comes the late Marian litanies (ZWVs 151 & 152), of course. But after having scrutinized Stockigt's Appendix A carefully, I have realized that there exists another - mysterious - composition, with the same instrumentation, dated 1739 which to my knowledge has neither been performed nor even mentioned in the Zelenka litterature. WHY? The work in question is "Ecce nunc benedicte" (ZWV 99), dated 1739, the same year as "Missa votiva". Just reflecting...

Do you really have a sung version of ZWV 167? With instruments as well? I'm aware that Musica Florea performed it a couple of years ago, though an interpretation by less famous performers would also be wonderful. Now we are extremely curious.
SVF

Xanaseb
24-11-2013, 02:31 AM
I too recorded it from live stream. Sadly, as also was the case in the youtube upload, there were a couple of small interferences right near the end, sounding a bit like static. Luckily it doesn't detract much from the whole.
I overall loved it, however, I am so used to the Marek Stryncl version, that Luks' version will take some getting used to!
I was quite astonished at how quickly it got uploaded onto youtube! I *too* wanted to upload my recording hahaha :o

The Da Pacem Domine would be -wonderful- to hear, as l'infastidito said, you've certainly aroused curiosity Peter.

This youtube clip of the mp3-rendition of it (taken from jdzelenka.net in fact) straight away gives a glimpse of its beauty and quality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYdMjz9uApM
To hear a live recording would be brilliant.

Peter
24-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Hi all,

What a great surprise to find the concert on Youtube! It seems to have the same blur near the end as your recording, Xanaseb. Pity that the wonderful concluding chorus has some disturbances. Yet, what a pleasure to be able to hear this concert again! Thanks for pointing to it, SWF! I have already made two nice cds of it and they’re almost constantly spinning on my radio.

A few weeks ago I visited a concert by a semiprofessional Dutch choir. To my amazement they sung the Da Pacem Domini and In convertendo (another interesting unrecorded work!). It turns out their conductor made some copies from Das Erbe Deutscher Musik and is a Zelenka lover.

I have made my own recording, but that’s really the work of an amateur. The performance is not in all regards perfect perhaps but the music is absolutely sung with audible love for Zelenka’s music and especially the Da Pacem was very moving. The choir (Poco Piu from Nimwegen) has put its concert on tape and promised me to place the files of In convertendo and Da Pacem on the internet. Of course you can have my recording but I think it's fairer to wait until the choir releases its own recording. I will alert you immediately when they do so!

Best wishes,
Peter

Xanaseb
25-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Ha, nice to hear about Da Pacem Domine and In convertendo, quite unusual! Can't wait to hear them.
I wish more amateur choir conductors here in the UK would take up Zelenka!

On another note, does anyone know if Collegium 1704's performance on 30/11/13 o (http://www.collegium1704.com/en/calendar/details/195-jan-dismas-zelenka--missa-dei-patris-zwv-19.html)f Missa Dei Patris will be recorded or broadcast anywhere at all?
*that* I'd die to hear!! ;)