PDA

View Full Version : Missa Dei Filii

Niels Danielsen
21-09-2007, 10:41 PM
On October 28., the Danish vocal ensemble Ars Nova Copenhagen and Concerto Copenhagen will give a performance of Missa Dei Filii and Bach's g minor mass, in the Garnisonskirke at 16:00, conducted by Sonning Prize winner Lars Ulrik Mortensen.

The same programme will be performed during a preceding tour in Spain:
October 21. Ceuta
22. Málaga
23. Cádiz
24. Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
25. La Laguna, Tenerife

Programme:
Jan Dismas Zelenka: Missa dei filii, ZWV 20
---------
J. S. Bach: Mass in g-minor
Musical Director: Lars Ulrik Mortensen (organ)
Soloists: Susanne Rydén (soprano), Iestyn Davies (kontra tenor), Anders-Jerker Dahlin (tenor) og Håvard Stensvold (bass)
Ars Nova Copenhagen Concerto Copenhagen

Visit

www.coco.dk

or

www.arsnova.dk

Luckily, I live in Copenhagen, and will be gathering a devoted group of Zelenka-loving friends for the occasion:)

Alistair
24-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Great news! Zelenka has finally reached Scandinavia. Thanks for this information. I will be there.

Alistair
30-10-2007, 11:11 AM
The concert turned out to be a great success.

The concert started with Bach's Mass in G minor (ZWV 235 from about 1738) and Missa Dei Filii (from 1740) followed. Both are "short" masses (with Kyrie and Gloria only). So it turned out to be a sort of comparison (if not a competition) using the same orchestra and the same choir. My wife, who generally tends to keep her music opinions to herself and to claim ignorance, said spontaneously afterward: "Bach didn't have a leg to stand on", which just about summed up the situation. I think the Danish audience was totally taken by surprise when they experienced the amount of energy coming at them from Zelenka in the year 1740.

You were presumably there, Niels. What did you think?

David Hein
30-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Alistair,

thanks a lot for your thoughts on the concert. You showed your great dedication to Zelenka by confusing BWV to ZWV :-)

Best wishes
from David

Alistair
30-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Oops, sorry - I must be thoroughly biased...

A.

Niels Danielsen
30-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Alistair,

Indeed I was there!
I know Missa Dei Filii only from the magnificent Bernius recording. I was surprised that this performance turned out to be even better! Excellent playing, engaged singers and impeccable soloists is what we have learned to expect from Stuttgart, but this performance furthermore released the fierce energy of this music, emphasizing the unstoppable, jubilant force of praise in the Gloria, making it a truly breathtaking experience.
What your wife said was exactly what I felt (and so did everyone I spoke with): Poor old Bach, what a boring little mass! Not that it was bad or poorly performed, but the range of expression was astoundingly broader in the Zelenka mass.
I'll do whatever I can to make Ars Nova/CoCo do Missa Dei Patris too!

The Danish Radio (DR) recorded the concert, which will be broadcast Tuesday, 30. October at 8 PM.
Visit http://netradio.dr.dk/content.asp?program=koncertsale&
The programme "Fra Danmarks koncertsale" ("From the concert halls of Denmark") will feature ZWV 20 and excerpts from two other concerts. It should be available at the time of broadcast and thereafter.

By the way: Did anyone attend one of the concerts in Spain?

Alistair
30-10-2007, 11:30 PM
I have just listened to the Zelenka mass again by DR Net Radio. People talk about the spontaneity of live concerts. Well, this certainly comes across in the radio recording! The Gloria and the Cum Sancto Spiritu would give anyone a boost, even someone who has never heard baroque music before!

Lars Ulrik Mortenson played cembalo during this performance, as well as conducting. I am so glad his playing came out so well in the recording. This man is a natural for conducting Zelenka's music. I hope he can be encouraged to make CD recordings matching this one also!