Thread: Das Erbe Deutscher Musik - works on deposit

Hybrid View

Default Das Erbe Deutscher Musik - works on deposit

Many of Zelenka's works have already been printed by various publishers and in the catalogue of Das Erbe Deutscher Musik there is an impressive list of works that are on deposit and await publication and performances. The link is:

http://www.erbedeutschermusik.de/edm-d-ka.htm

In addtion to this there are probably other works that have been edited elsewhere and are not presented in this catalogue. My guess is that roughly 75-80% of Zelenka's music has been edited. This is quite an achievement in a relatively short time.

Hats off for the musicologists, they are doing a fantastic job!

Are these scores currently available for purchase or this merely a list of works awaiting publication?

Cheers,

Shaun

Hello!

One friend of mine mentioned, that it would be very expensive to get notes especially from Zelenka from the archives. In Duisburg, my hometown in Germany, there is a conductor and choir leader keen on staging works of Zelenka (and othjer czech composers) which have not been published yet (don't know exactly which ones...). He told my friend that the choir cannot afford it because of the prices to get the matierial. Does anybody have any experiance in getting unpublished material? Maybe G.Reuss can tell how he got his lucky hands on the masses?

Thanks a lot!
    David

Default Das Erbe Deutscher Musik

Hi David,

This subject has already been touched on under "Prohibitive costs of hiring scores".

There appears to be nothing to stop people making their own "editions" from the original manuscript material which is available at the state library in Dresden.

What I don't understand is the "fine print" concerning what one may or may not do, as what you get is copies/microfilm of the original autograph scores. In other words, is it legal to make performing editions from them?

Presumably this material is given out to the public on the pretext that they will be doing private study. But does this mean that the big publishing houses like Barenreiter or Carus must pay a whole lot more to get hold of the same material, in the understanding that they will be making bigger profits when they sell or hire?

Please can someone clarify this situation?

One option is to contact Dr. Karl Geck, the Head of the Music Department at the State/University Library in Dresden and ask him. (Music mss: +49 351 4677 550, 552 or 553). His English is very good, but his availability is not so good. Perhaps someone with a good grip of German can pin him down by telephone on this point. Don't try to pin him down by e-mail, though, as he sometimes doesn't answer.

What this all boils down to is that a combination of beurocracy by the library holding the originals and profiteering by publishing companies may actually be getting in the way of Zelenka's unpublished music seeing the light of day. (If you are reading this, Dr. Geck - which you are probably not - please take note.)
    Last edited by Alistair; 24-07-2007 at 09:52 PM.

Default Copyright

Hello David, Alistair, everyone else,

Just visiting the forums again after a long absence. Hope everyone is having an enjoyable summer.

Regarding copyright of microfilm or manuscript materials: as far as I know (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), you are free to do anything with reproductions of manuscripts provided to you from a research institution unless they specify otherwise. Research institutions are not-for-profit organisations, so they cannot charge people for the use of their holdings (meaning what the person does with the copies after they leave the institution - naturally they can charge fees for access to the materials, but that is mainly to keep access exclusive, not to profit from their holdings). This means that if you are able to obtain reproductions of manuscripts from a research institution, you are free to transcribe it, make performing editions, even sell it (your transcription/notation/edition) if you want. Publishers don't pay research institutions for the right to sell a work that is in the public domain. In a previous post, I mentioned reproductions are copyrighted: I meant photos of the material that appear in print or on a website are copyrighted. But if the institution provides you with photocopies or microfilm or scans of material for research, that isn't copyrighted and you can do what you want with it.

Having said that, I've since looked at some of JDZ's manuscripts, and they are pretty messy. Deciphering them will be a major challenge for anyone wishing to make performing editions. Also a thorough knowledge of notational practices of the period is necessary.

I hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing some new editions soon!

Steven

sorry, posted too fast. One thing I forgot to mention: a research institution has the right to prohibit specific uses for the material they reproduce, including transcribing for personal use or selling your transcription. Usually no one prohibits making performing editions - that's exactly how so much music has been rediscovered in the last 30 years - but its is best to check with the institution before doing anything, just to be safe.

Steven

Default pflight1

Hello. I am interested to know who has published the Requiem in D minor ZWV 48. Does anyone know if a score and parts exist? Also, vocal scores?

Thanks,

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pflight1
    Hello. I am interested to know who has published the Requiem in D minor ZWV 48. Does anyone know if a score and parts exist? Also, vocal scores?

Thanks,

Paul
    Hello Paul,

I know of a full score :

Requiem D Moll ZWV 48
    Musica Antiqua Bohemica, Serie II, 14
    Editio Supraphon Praha H7701 (1995)

In the same Serie II you have :
    4 : Lamentationes Jeremiae prophetate
    5 : Psalmi et Magnificat
    12 : Sub olea pacis et palma virtutis

SK