Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New recording of Missa Votiva

By the way, here is confirmation of what Peter had mentioned in another thread: Bernius is recording the Missa Votiva, today and the next couple of days in fact, in Switzerland, following their performance on the 6th.

http://www.theatreofearlymusic.com/temcal.html

Nice to see this work receive so much attention recently.

Diapason of Sept 2008 has published a critique of this record.
    It is judged better than the Thorofon, interpretation "enthusiastic with some weaknesses", conductor "competent with a good knowledge of the baroque style".

SK
    Last edited by root_admin; 23-08-2008 at 05:59 PM.

Default Missa Votiva, Collegium 1704 dir Vaclav Luks

Review also in September 2008 Classica Repertoire where it achieved an "exceptional" grading both for music and performance, and the sound also haad top marks.

As a new member, not yet skilled in following all the links of this great website, but in case the number of this disc has not appeared before, it is Zig Zag Territories
    ZZT 080901, distributed in France by Harmonia Mundi.

Default New Recording of Missa Votiva

I think the recording quality is fine (at least through headphones). It is actually quite a nice sound stage, with a good spread of vocalists from left to right. The male voices to the right are quite tangible. I agree with djdresden that the Credo is too fast. The fact that the preceding movement is also quite fast leaves the listener (if he/she has been concentrating!) quite exhaused by the end of the Credo!

I just checked the new/olde site this morning. Good news, (as Derek has been saying) the Missa Votiva has been recorded by Bernius and will be released in 2009 by Carus. The performers are: Stuttgarter Kammerorchester,
    Stuttgarter Kammerchor, Joanne Lunne, Soprano; Daniel Taylor, Countertenor;
    Johannes Kaleschke, Tenor; Thomas E Bauer, Baritone.
    I'm sure that we are all looking forward with great anticipation to this release.

More good news from Collegium 1704, who gave us the splendid Missa Votiva. In a couple of days they will perform the I penitenti al sepolcro del Redentore, ZWV 63 in Prag. They will record it this month for another release on ZZT next year according to:

http://www.fok.cz/de/programm/colleg...cale-1704.html
    http://www.multikulti.com/go/_info/?id=26075

They will also record the Tenebrae Responses, probably for release in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by djdresden
    That online review states:

The Missa Votiva was written in Dresden in 1739 as a thank-offering for his recovery from an illness from which he had suffered over the previous ten years.
    Is that true? There's not even a known portrait of Zelenka, so how have they got hold of his medical records? Perhaps he wrote about his health on the front of the manuscript -- and I'm just showing my ignorance -- but given the nonsense about Zelenka being 'bitter' I'm now suspicious when alleged biographical detail emerges.

I think Zelenka makes references to his illness in only two places: In his Missa Purificationis ZWV 16 from 1733, when he writes that managed to finish it in ten days even though he was ill. The second is for Missa Votiva which he wrote as a vow, recovering from his illness. A nasty bug seems to have been going the rounds in Dresden in spring that year, Prime Minister Count Bruhl was also seriously ill for a few weeks at the same time in 1739.