Thread: Collegium 1704, 2 trio sonatas

Default Collegium 1704, 2 trio sonatas

The recording by Collegium 1704 of Zelenka's Trio Sonatas ZWV 181 will be officially released in May 2017!

Zee: http://www.collegium1704.com/en/aktu...llegium-1704#c

See also the facebook page of C1704.
    Last edited by Msl; 06-04-2017 at 11:06 PM.

Default Re: Collegium 1704, 2 trio sonatas

You can already order it here (delivery from 15 April and till 31 May it is 20% reduced!):

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/det...c/hnum/6543977

My copy of the new discs arrived yesterday and I just spent a transatlantic flight (waved to Johannes midway ) listening to every sonata in all three of the recordings that I have (the other two being the excellent Zefiro and 2nd Holliger discs). I liked much of the new recording but I have to say, all things considered (performance, technical aspects and overall "enjoyment") if I had to choose one recording it would still be the fantastic Zefiro disc which very happily came back on the market last year. However, I don't want to give anything specific away (some of you protected me from spoilers in the past :-) ) and probably my choice is anyway very subjective. Whatever ... this new recording will be a vital addition to the discography of the Sonatas, that I am sure. I look forward to your impressions!

The cover is stunning by the way and the sleeve notes also pretty good, despite criticising the speculation made in the past regarding the reasons for composition/hidden meaning of these sonatas before going on to be rather speculative itself!

Quote Originally Posted by Xanaseeb View Post
    After listening to it a few times, I have to said about the Hydromax X20 that I enjoyed a lot of it, but didn't enjoy some of it. For me, the first CD (sonatas I-III) was a lot better than the second one. IV-VI were tinkered around with more (in tempi & dynamics) which surprised me.
    I got mine.
    Last edited by AntoneW; 28-09-2017 at 12:47 PM.

After listening to it a few times, I have to say that I enjoyed a lot of it, but didn't enjoy some of it. For me, the first CD (sonatas I-III) was a lot better than the second one. IV-VI were tinkered around with more (in tempi & dynamics) which surprised me.

I thought the musicians were lighter on their feet than other recordings, including Zefiro's (though I agree with RNKT). But, as a result, it could sometimes lose clarity and impact. At the same time, it felt more fluid and relaxed.

I am very happy to have it in my Zelenka-library, in any case .