Thread: Website's future

Exclamation Website's future

Dear members,

The forum has never before been frequented by so many enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and serious-minded people. It started in 2006, and the Discover Zelenka website started 4 years earlier, in 2002. Personally, I feel that my contribution to the Zelenka revival has been fairly substantial (in a modest sort of a way), but next year I will be retiring -- which means that things must change. Either the whole operation will be closed down, or a new chapter in the history of the site must begin...

If the website and forum are to continue in any shape or form after the spring of 2018, they must be taken over (and paid for) by someone else. That person must have a burning desire to further the music of Zelenka, must be comfortable with internet technology (especially new developments), must be willing to keep a rather precious database of recordings up to date, must be willing to oversee all contributions to a forum or similar medium, and must be willing to finance (or find a source of revenue for) the running of the operation.

Technically, the forum rides on the back of the Discover Zelenka website, so at the moment it is one operation. The timetable is as follows:

The domain "zelenkaforum.net" expires on 26 May 2018, which has a fee for DNS redirection.
    The domain "jdzelenka.net" expires on 22 May, 2018.
    The whole website is paid up until 17 July, 2018.

Personally, I feel that both the website and the forum need a facelift, and the easiest way for someone to do that would be to start from scratch with a new site that opens shortly after July 2018. If that sounds appealing, I can supply a (then) very recent "dump" of the recordings database (in MySQL) and a similar dump of the forum entries (also in MySQL). I might add that vBulletin has a service whereby they can get a new version of the forum up and running for you at a modest cost, given a dump.

I see this as a happy announcement, as nothing is forever and life moves on. At this juncture, it is in no way a disaster or crisis situation -- so please, everyone, please put on your thinking caps and come up with a good idea for a new Zelenka site. Or perhaps even for two separate ones!

I will be happy to help wherever possible.

Alistair

p.s. I can be reached at mail@jdzelenka.net
    Last edited by Alistair; 12-04-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Smile Re: Website's future

Hello everyone,

By Royal Decree (of course!):

I would like to announce that Discover Zelenka has found a new ruler in the magnanimous King Maximilian, Holy Roman Emperor, forever August; King of Germany, of Hungary, Dalmatia, Croatia; Archduke of Austria; Duke of Burgundy, Brabant, Lorraine, Styria, Carinthia, Carniola, Limburg, Luxembourg, Gelderland; Landgrave of Alsace; Prince of Swabia; Count Palatine of Burgundy; Princely Count of Habsburg, Hainaut, Flanders, Tyrol, Gorizia, Artois, Holland, Seeland, Ferrette, Kyburg, Namur, Zutphen; Margrave of the Holy Roman Empire, the Enns, Burgau; Lord of Frisia, the Wendish March, Pordenone, Salins, Mechelen, etc. etc. -- these days also known simply as King Max.

Of course, there is inevitably some sadness in such a moment when Discover Zelenka, a fruit of the loving labour of Alistair (and everyone who helped him along the way), is taken over by another person; however, one can also look at this as a renewal which will continue the long-standing efforts and tradition dedicated to spreading the word about the truly magnificent music of Jan Dismas Zelenka.

My immediate plans are to look into options for re-hosting the forum and the site itself before May next year, and also to determine if a better software platform exists for running the forum. I will also be looking to modernize the design of jdzelenka.net (e.g. making it mobile-friendly). If this sounds a little unsettling, have no fear -- I won't be introducing any new taxes -- I want to reassure everyone that I will try to keep to a "Baroque web" aesthetic. As to the content, I will be looking to preserve what is already on the site: about Zelenka's life, his music, recordings, everything really! I certainly appreciate that in many ways the contributing authors of the Discover Zelenka content as a whole are you, members of the Zelenka forum who contribute news, ideas, etc. In this way I hope that together we will continue the work that Alistair started 15 years ago.

It will take some time for the site's new design to be settled and implemented and for the forum to be transferred. A "preview" version might be available before the middle of next year (when Alistair plans to retire), but I won't make any promises. No reasonably diplomatic king can do that!

In the meanwhile, if you have any suggestions for the Discover Zelenka site or forum (e.g. any features you would like to see), please let me know by PM. The vBulletin courier will deliver it to me in person in my royal palace.

Best wishes to all,
    -- King Max
    Last edited by KingMaximilian; 19-04-2017 at 04:12 PM.

Default Re: Website's future

Thank you King Max, this is very good news. It is important that the good and noble work of Alistair will be continued and built upon. So I wish you well for the future in your role as a custodian of the online-home of our Zelenka.

This is great news! I was wondering whether I could contribute anything (I'm an almost complete amateur; my only experience is building a website-drive website for my institute in Django), but I'm really glad to see a professional has stepped up :-)

Terrific news indeed - and a relief! jdzelenka.net does hold something very special and rare, and, as Alistair said, the forum is lucky to have people who give it such a buzz. I'm glad that things can be worked forwards into a future, and I'm sure it will be a great one. Zelenka lives on.

Thank-you King Max for taking up the mantle, I pledge my fealty in your reign...

...seriously though, rest assured you'll have help and support in this

Thank you, everyone, for your support, I really appreciate it! At the moment I am looking at where the best place to host the site is (in terms of cost, ease of migrating the forum, etc.), what tools to use for the site's design, and roughly how the design will look like. I will get in touch when this change-over is complete. In the meanwhile, if there are any ideas for new features or new content on top of what is already included on the Discover Zelenka site, then please let me know or simply post your ideas here -- it will be great to work together on implementing them and thus add to Alistair's wonderful work.