Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Website's future

Default Re: Website's future

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hinds View Post
    This is Zelenka's 1738 Miserere in C Minor and Alistair shares my immediate reaction that what Clemency has suggested cannot possibly be a main reason why Bach was so anxious "to get an appointment at the same court - (i.e. at Dresden) - just to be closer to his hero".
    That's great that Zelenka made the book. But, it would be a shame if new myths like this caught on because of a backlash to the previous ones - too often are opinions or general statements taken as fact rather than speculation. Part of the problem is that people researching on Zelenka don't know where to turn to without paying some extra time & effort. The newest version of the Wikipedia page (updated by djdresden a year or so ago) went some way to addressing this, but it is no where near perfect.

I would speculate that, being one of the main people responsible for the Dresden Catholic Church music program during the late-1720s-30s, Zelenka would have in the very least indirectly affected J.S. Bach, due to the great contemporary and older pieces collected and kept by him for use by the Court. Does this mean that Bach would have at some point(s) attended Masses & services in Dresden...? Or would he have come across them in other ways? Where did he get is apparent enchantment with the Catholic Mass composition form (the book 'Exploring Bach's B-minor Mass' ed. Yo Tomita goes some way into discussing this - Dr. Stockigt's chapter, especially)? As for your speculation, Andrew, I reckon that that would make sense. Many of these top composers were in touch with each other. Telemann for eg.), a mutual contact. No doubt they would have had very interesting exchanges, indeed.

Seb

Smile Re: Website's future

Hello everyone,

After a long period, injuries sustained from various campaigns, and many adventures, the new Discover Zelenka has been released (see https://www.jdzelenka.net ). Although some sections are still under construction (and will be for at least a little longer), the site's re-design has been accomplished. If you notice anything anomalous as you browse through, or if you wish to express your admiration (or conversely), please write an honourable letter on parchment and address it to me at "The Online Summer Palace of King Maximilian the First" -- i.e. just send me a quick e-mail .

It would be great to see the site's content translated into several other languages in the future, e.g. German, French and Dutch. The task is not as onerous as it may seem... Probably using Google translate and fixing the errors would be sufficient to produce something that, while maybe not ideal, would nonetheless be better than what visitors would receive by relying solely on Google. Please let me know if you would be interested in doing this.

Over the coming weeks I hope to migrate the forum also. Please save any Personal Messages (PMs) you may wish to keep as soon as you can, as unfortunately these cannot be transferred.

Viva Zelenka!

Best wishes,
    -- King Max

Awesome! Great work! Pleeease give me a few days to copy some ancient PMs I'm keeping stored!

I will try to figure out which recordings are missing and add them to the catalogue...

Awesome! Great work! Pleeease give me a few days to copy some ancient PMs I'm keeping stored!

I will try to figure out which recordings are missing and add them to the catalogue...

Snazzy! Liking the baroque views.

Hopefully this can resurrect things a bit,

Seb

Wonderful work on making this site attractive and accessible. Thankyou

Many thanks indeed. Zelenka deserves a nice website indeed!