Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hinds View Post
This is Zelenka's 1738 Miserere in C Minor and Alistair shares my immediate reaction that what Clemency has suggested cannot possibly be a main reason why Bach was so anxious "to get an appointment at the same court - (i.e. at Dresden) - just to be closer to his hero".
That's great that Zelenka made the book. But, it would be a shame if new myths like this caught on because of a backlash to the previous ones - too often are opinions or general statements taken as fact rather than speculation. Part of the problem is that people researching on Zelenka don't know where to turn to without paying some extra time & effort. The newest version of the Wikipedia page (updated by djdresden a year or so ago) went some way to addressing this, but it is no where near perfect.

I would speculate that, being one of the main people responsible for the Dresden Catholic Church music program during the late-1720s-30s, Zelenka would have in the very least indirectly affected J.S. Bach, due to the great contemporary and older pieces collected and kept by him for use by the Court. Does this mean that Bach would have at some point(s) attended Masses & services in Dresden...? Or would he have come across them in other ways? Where did he get is apparent enchantment with the Catholic Mass composition form (the book 'Exploring Bach's B-minor Mass' ed. Yo Tomita goes some way into discussing this - Dr. Stockigt's chapter, especially)? As for your speculation, Andrew, I reckon that that would make sense. Many of these top composers were in touch with each other. Telemann for eg.), a mutual contact. No doubt they would have had very interesting exchanges, indeed.

Seb