Thread: "Musicologist makes breakthrough while researching 18th century composer"

Default "Musicologist makes breakthrough while researching 18th century composer"

Denis Collins (2019) “Zelenka and the Combinative Impulse: Contrapuntal Techniques in the Miserere in D Minor, ZWV 56,” Musicology Australia, 41:2, 199-225, DOI:10.1080/08145857.2019.1703488

To be fully transparent, I did not read the article itself (yet), only the press release (https://music.uq.edu.au/article/2020...ntury-composer), but I found the following paragraph in the press release quite intriguing: "The article uncovers the wealth of combinative possibilities running through all parts of the Miserere. A major discovery is Associate Professor Collins’s solution to the riddle of an alternative performance possibility for one section of the work based on turning the page of music upside down and reading the original notation backwards".

r

Default Re: "Musicologist makes breakthrough while researching 18th century composer"

THANK YOU! It seems the whole issue of that journal is devoted to essays in honout of J. Stockigt. I have only read the titles so far but it looks Zelenka enthusiasts might be interested in most if not all of them!

Default Re: "Musicologist makes breakthrough while researching 18th century composer"

You are right. For convenience sake: here are the titles: https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rmus20/current.

Thanks for pointing this out! It does look like a special issue in Janice Stockigt's honor. I've read the Miserere paper and learned about some old Italian masters whom Zelenka and Fux apparently studied very closely. I also learned that JDZ studied Michael Praetorius's treatises. A few other papers in the issue look quite interesting, too.

What a discovery!

This issue of Musicology Australia as linked by Msl below looks very interesting. The foreword is a fitting tribute to Prof. Jan Stockigt.

So, now we just need some ensemble to perform and record ZWV 56!? Hint, hint!

Seb
    Last edited by Xanaseb; 08-05-2020 at 02:00 PM. Reason: foreword