Thread: Obtaining scores of Zelenka's masses

Default Obtaining scores of Zelenka's masses

Hello,

I'm a member of a choir called Kantorei Sankt Barbara, in Krakow, Poland (http://www.kantorei.cracow.pl/aktualnosci.html). We frequently try to perform lesser-known Baroque music. This year, for example, we have performed four cantatas by Georg Anton Benda. (Probably not performed for 200 years.) My dream is for my choir to sing Zelenka's masses. I managed to collect quite a few recordings, but it seems obtaining scores is nearly impossible. The only reasonably priced score I managed to find on offer is ZWV 1 Missa Sanctae Caeciliae from Edition Walhall.

Could anyone give some pointers as to how to obtain scores of Zelenka's masses? Missa Votiva, Missa Dei Fili, Missa Sanctimae Trinitatis, Missa Omnium Sanctorum and Requiem in d are at the top of my list (perhaps I have forgotten a few works since Zelenka's quality is usually very high). I remember I read somewhere I could order autograph copies for 0.30 Euros a page, but I can't find this info anymore... I'd be willing to (try to) prepare a score from an autograph, I have some small experience with such matters.

So, a long introductory post :-) I hope someone will point me somewhere and Zelenka's masses will be performed in Krakow...

Hello,

In the download area of this site reposes many computer mock-ups of unpublished and/or unrecorded works : ZWV1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9,10,12,14,15,16 (ZWV5 seems lost), miserere ZWV56,
    De profundis ZWV96, Da pacem domine ZWV167...
    Most works are complete, the midi files can give you an idea of the scores, some have the lyrics included. These works were done by Germund and SK, from manuscript copies, microfilm or pdf, purchased at the Dresden and Berlin libraries.
    Janice B. Stockigt's book contains library references (German and Czech) of the manuscripts.

At the beginning of september, the masses ZWV2, 4, 9, 10 and 15 will be complete and have new audio mp3s. Free scores can be prepared on request.

Try www.sfb.at to find second hand scores of the last masses (ZWV17-21),
    these Baerenreiter editions are expensive. You can always try to buy the manuscript and
    edit your own score, but beware, for example the last mouvement of Missa Dei Filii was
    not completed by the author and require lengthy conterpoint composition for the Alto and Tenore parts.

Some reasonnably priced publishers :
    - Edition Walhall : ZWV1
    - Carus Verlag : ZWV13, Magnificats, many small works
    - Editio Supraphon : Requiem...
    - Ortus Musikverlag : ZWV56
    - Butz Verlag : ZWV8
    - Kunzelmann : ZWV11

Best wishes,
    SK
    Last edited by skiaouros; 23-08-2008 at 11:43 AM.

Hello,

I apologize for not having responded earlier on; unortunately I was very busy organising a certain conference. This is thankfully past me and I can now return to exploring Zelenka... Thank you very much for the pointers on obtaining notes; I think the first thing I'll do is buy the ZWV1.

I'm eagerly waiting for the completed mp3s of ZWVs 2, 4, 9, 10 and 15... of these I think I like ZWV2 most so far. It would be fantastic if I could see the full score. Does preparing a score from the files you have take a lot of work? May I ask you to do this if you have some time? Since these works have not been recorded yet and (perhaps) weren't performed in the 21st (or 20th) century they would be ideal for my choir. Of course, we would need to apply for funding etc., but we've had some success in such matters concerning G.A. Benda so I'd expect we will also do well in this case. Of course we would discuss all financial / copyright matters before any performances.

Thanks again for your comprehensive reply,

Best wishes,

LW.

Hello,

Please look your private messages

SK
    Last edited by skiaouros; 11-12-2008 at 03:45 PM.