Thread: Requiem in D minor (ZWV 48)

Default Requiem in C minor (ZWV 48)

During the course of this academic year, I've been independently studying this requiem, and have found it both fascinating and enjoyable.

I'm posting this thread to see If anyone wants to discuss it with me as I've come to know it quite well, and I'd love to talk about it with someone...so if you're not familliar with the work, there's no time like the present to attach yourself to it.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who would like to share their opinion on this wonderful mass.
    Last edited by root_admin; 09-05-2007 at 12:08 PM.
    If it's not baroque...don't fix it.

There appears to be some confusion here. ZWV 48 is Requiem in D minor and ZWV 45 is Requiem in C minor. I think this has come about because of a silly mistake on a Pascaille CD (Il Fondamento cond. by Paul Dombrecht) which states that ZWV 48 is in C minor (wrong).

Which Requiem do you mean, Phil?

Oops, my mistake. I do mean D minor. Yes this was something you and I discussed last year Alistair...don't know how that old mistake resurfaced. I'll see if I can't change that.
    Last edited by root_admin; 24-05-2006 at 06:24 AM.
    If it's not baroque...don't fix it.

Default Requiem in D minor (ZWV 48)

I have a recording without trombones. I have heard part of it with trombones and are tempted to buy a new record.

The moment I love most in this requiem is the one with chalmaux, oboe, strings and solo voices. A very well written polyphonic piece.

The moment starts with tenor, soprano, chalmaux and strings in minor key. The harmonies between soprano and chalmaux sounds really nice.
    When the moment changes key to major, the oboe begins to play. Great effect.

P.Johnson, what part of the requiem appeals especially to you ?

Lunchbreak over

Default Requiem in c minor

Sorry if the quiestion has been already discussed.

I read that Requiem in C minor ZWV 45 is a 'dubium' work of Z. Unfortunately, I don't have fundamental work of Stockigt, and the article in NGD (2001) does not describe the matter.

May someone here enlighten me, on which grounds (stylistical / biographical) the authenticity of the mentioned work is questioned by scholars?