Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free scores of masses

Default Free scores of masses

Hello,

I'm editing complete scores from manuscripts of the masses in the repository,
    pdf files will be available at the end of this month.
    If some are interested into proof reading them, please contact me.
    I hope to give them freely.

SK

Default Free scores

Dear SK,

I am amazed by your energy. Thank you for all the work you are putting into this!

I think we should make your electronic representations of the masses more visible for everyone to see (and hear), especially when the scores appear.

Best wishes.

Alistair

Dear SK,

Please, have you got the full score of Miserere in C moll (ZWV 57) ?
    Do you know how I can get it?
    With best regards,
    N. Khondzinsky

Hello,

Great thanks to Germund-Atle to let me edit scores of some of the masses.

These are first drafts and needs a lot of corrections.

If you follow the Gratias of ZWV16 on the CD, you will find that bar 6 is played between bars 1 and 2. There is an ambiguity in the manuscript (the staves crosses two pages), I choosed to read horizontally first, it seems more logical with similar events in other bars. (I found this case in another mass, the solution was to read vertically first, but generally continuity is horizontal).

I like particularly the glorificamus in the gloria of ZWV10.

There are also new mp3s of ZWV1.
    You have the autograph manuscript of bars 31-49 (slightly different instrument parts
    to the Walhall edition) of Kyrie here :
    http://www.mdpls.org/county_internet...ibit/music.htm

Have nice festivities,
    SK
    Last edited by skiaouros; 08-08-2010 at 10:18 PM.

SK,

I just sent you an extensive email, mainly with corrections to ZWV 3. I think I'll be finishing to check ZWV 3 and looking at ZWV 15 now,

Best regards,

L.

Guys, I think I've figured out what to do in the troublesome bars 26-27 from Et resurrexit of ZWV 3. I did a quick sketch in Finale and exported it to a PDF file, here: http://www.divshare.com/download/6326038-312

Please ignore everything (layout, lack of text and articulation etc) except the harmony. If you listen to the MP3 from the public repository (while looking at the score prepared by Skiaouros), you'll notice that something sounds wrong in bars 26-27 (not only there, but these two measures are the topic of this particular post). I thought of possible changes, played them on my piano and then tried them in Finale - I think what I have now sounds right. The PDF has 7 measures, corresponding to measures 22-28 of Skiaouros' score. My changes are in the violins, soprano and 2nd oboe. The most important things are:

1. The chord on the 3rd beat of bar 26 (bar 5 in my PDF) is b MINOR, not MAJOR. This corresponds to the b.c. and fits nicely with the change to major in the next bar.

2. The violins have f SHARP, not f NATURAL, on the first beat of measure 26 (5 in my PDF). We can interpret it as the root of the chord sounding at that moment, even though it would be perfectly fine without the root, but the violins have to play something there - most likely an 8th note - and f sharp seems to be the best choice.

Apart from that, I changed g to g sharp in bar 26 and c to c sharp in bar 27 in the violins. Just try it - the passages flow better :-) I could prepare an mp3 if anyone's interested, but it would be of decidedly lower class than the ones by Skiaouros.

There is (for me) one worrying thing in this region of the piece, namely the tenor voice in bar 24 (bar 3 in my PDF). On the 2nd beat, the b.c. says "5", and the tenor has a "6". But it is not necessarily wrong.

I will have other, smaller, comments on ZWV3 - I'll send them directly to Skiaouros via email. I'd be grateful for comments regarding my proposal.

Hi Elwro,

I edited bar 21-30 of Et resurrexit from score. I sent it to Skiaouros.
    I have edited Zwv 3 (Kyrie), 6,7,8 and 14. From this experience (handwriting, errors and gaps), my impression is that Zelenka was in a hurry when he wrote all movements in Credo. And therefore errors discussed below.

When Zelenka wrote bar 21-30 he wrote the 4 part choir part first. No errors here.
    Then he added violins, viola, b.c and oboes. Its in these parts the mistakes are. Therefore it is important to first look at the choir part, then correct errors in the instruments.
    The viola part are almost the same as the alto part. Look how many #sharps are misssing.

Bar 25---------> oboe 1 double the viola, oboe 2 double the soprano. The error here is the missing 1/8 pause in both oboes. Compare oboes with soprano and alto part and you see what is missing, and where.

Bar 26---------> #f in violin. Yes, because alto have #f in the same beats.
    Bar 26---------> oboe 1; two last notes--------->#d#d------>not e e
    Bar 27---------> viola part wrong. See alto.

My guess, some gaps in oboe and viola part, when Zelenka was in a hurry. Someone else filled in these bars. Or Zelenka had a hangover.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Elwro wrote:

"1. The chord on the 3rd beat of bar 26 (bar 5 in my PDF) is b MINOR, not MAJOR."
    ------------->Soprano d, alto #f, tenore d, basso b.----->the chord is b minor.

"2. The violins have f SHARP, not f NATURAL, etc etc."
    ---> Agree, explained above.

"Apart from that, I changed g to g sharp in bar 26 and c to c sharp in bar 27 in the violins. Just try it - the passages flow better :-)"
    ---------> Nein, njet, nei and no! Sound perfectly as it is written. Oboe parts makes the whole passage wierd. Correct them and you can hear Zelenka use the same modulation in other works as well.

"There is (for me) one worrying thing in this region of the piece, namely the tenor voice in bar 24 (bar 3 in my PDF). On the 2nd beat, the b.c. says "5", and the tenor has a "6". But it is not necessarily wrong."
    -------> Look at the soprano part 2 beats before the tenore. Zelenka loves "echo's". So the tenore is correctly written. Only the "g" (written "a") 5th note in bar 24, is difficult to read. But since the cord is in e minor, and oboe 1 plays a "g", the note is probably "g".

Hope this helps.

G.Reuss
    Last edited by G.Reuss; 21-01-2009 at 12:44 AM.

Hi G. R.,

thank you very much for this response! I can't believe I haven't noticed the mistakes in the oboes, I remember checking them against the violas and sopranos, my eyes must've played some tricks on me :-) As for the soprano-tenor echo in bars 23-24, it's clear, I just found it a bit strange that the chord was just marked "5" in the b.c. After some reflection and comparison with other places, I find it less strange now :-)

Cheers,

L.W.

Default Scores of masses

Fascinating stuff!

One thing I must point out (as perhaps it's not too well known) is that new sources of certain masses (e.g. ZWV 4, ZWV 7 and ZWV 12) have emerged from that find in the Ukraine (see thread by djdresden at http://www.jdzelenka.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70).

Janice Stockigt feels that no edition of some masses (e.g. ZWV 12) should be done until these have been consulted.

I am merely reminding you of this information. I guess there's quite a difference in importance between preparing music scores for a performance and preparing them for a recording. The recording lives on (remember Holliger's first Arkiv recordings of the Trio Sonatas which are still being re-issued (the latest being on Brilliant Classics) while he himself realised that there were shortcomings in interpretation of the score and re-recorded it on ECM).
    Last edited by Alistair; 21-01-2009 at 12:46 PM.

Alistair !

Thank you for pointing this out. Zwv 4 we still have Credo, Sanctus and Agnus Dei to get our hands on. And Zwv 14, waterdamage have destoyed some of 1st.trumpet and 1st.violin part. So yes, I hope we can get those score copies.

I think when they preform Zwv 12 Missa Xaverii in Austalia, they try to get the sources djdresden mentioned.

G.R.