Thread: Phoebe Umbras Pelle

Default Phoebe Umbras Pelle

Hi, I'm new here, love Baroque music but have overlooked Zelenka up to now. Thought I's share this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czlkGqbZ72E

This is one of the first pieces by him that I've heard. I particularly like the orchestra at 0.13/0.34/0.55/1.24/1.43/2.04.

What work is it taken from?

Default Phoebe Umbras Pelle

OK, found title of work it's taken from: Sub Oleas Pacis.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for letting us know.

Yes, the whole work has been recorded on Supraphon by Marek Stryncl, Musica Florea, and distinguished soloists and choir. This not the countertenor on the Supraphon recording, however.

Oh, oh, that "portrait" of Zelenka (surely Fux?) has turned up again... Perhaps Zelenka thought so much of Fux, his teacher in Vienna, that he began to look like him...!
    ________
    ipad games
    Last edited by paperMoon; 27-01-2011 at 05:12 PM.

I believe the countertenor on the Supraphon is Markus Forster. Philippe Jaroussky (the guy in the video I posted) has done Zelenka concerts with Stryncl (how is it pronouced?) and Musica Florea, but I don't know whether they're the ones on Youtube. The Forster version is somewhat slower; I've no idea which of the two is more faithful to Zelenka's score but I enjoy both.

Yes, Jaroussky is with Stryncl and Musica Florea, probably at the Festival de Sablé in 2008.