Thread: A recording of an unrecorded Alma redemptoris?

Default A recording of an unrecorded Alma redemptoris?

Hi all,

A new recording of a rather comprehensive Alma redemptoris mater by Zelenka:
    http://www.supraphon.cz/cs/novinky/a...orii/?item=816

A hitherto unrecorded work? The ZWV number is missing on the cover.
    Performers: Collegium Marianum. Release is scheduled for December.

Best wishes,
    Peter

Hi Peter,

I believe this to be ZWV 126 which Collegium Marianum have been performing on few occasions and so it is indeed a first recording. Although the Supraphon website claims this is sung by soprano Hana Blazikova(my favourite Zelenka singer), this must be a mistake for it is written for alt voice. I have two live recordings of this lovely little work which has some exquisite parts for two flutes, that would have been performed by the colleagues Buffardin and Quantz in 1730.

The program of the cd is similiar to the very nice christmas concert Collegium Marianum played last year at the Mirror Chapel in Prague, see: http://www.ebu.ch/CMSimages/en/Chris...tcm6-64059.pdf

It is especially welcoming to hear more Reichenauer on cd because he is a cracking composer, whose works Zelenka performed in Dresden. Zelenka pioneer Robert Hugo has also been championing his music, recently performing a short but excellent Kyrie and Gloria at a concert in Prague. It is easy to hear why Zelenka admired Reichenauer - they share a similiar soundworld.

While in Prague earlier this month taking in the fantastic Il Diamante, I met the director of Supraphon's new 18th century music in Prague series and he promises more gems from the mostly unrecorded repertoire of the Czech baroque. Of course I pressed him hard for more Zelenka! The first cd in the series is already out and contains works by Gunther Jacob and Rathgeber, performed by Robert Hugo and his Capella Regia Praha. I warmly recommend this cd because Jacob's music is quite original and is a real find.
    http://www.supraphon.cz/cs/katalog/d...titulu=2017841

Cheers,
    Johannes
    Last edited by djdresden; 21-10-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Default Alma Redemptoris Mater

The concert last year had the alto, Kamila Sevcikova, singing the work, according to the notes provided by Johannes. She is listed among the soloists in other works on the disc. We shall all just have to buy the disc as soon as possible to find out the true position!
    Osbert

Default Alma redemptoris

I have edited this message since I gave some misinformation, as I was listening to the wrong tracks! Here is the truth:

I received the CD yesterday, and it is ZWV 123, which has been recorded once before by the Batzdorfer group. And the soprano? Hana Blazikova.
    ________
    medical marijuana card
    Last edited by paperMoon; 27-01-2011 at 05:13 PM.