Thread: Remember Ensemble Zefiro & Zelenka's Trio Sonatas

Default Remember Ensemble Zefiro & Zelenka's Trio Sonatas

Alfredo Bernadini (oboe) and Alberto Grazzi (bassoon) were two members of Ensemble Zefiro who provided a wonderful experience for us in 1993 with their performances of Zelenka's six Trio Sonatas on Astree (E8563 and E 8571) - still available.

In 2010 the same two oboe and bassoon players are part of Ensemble Cordia and have provided another wonderful CD of Chamber music dating from about 1730. For years I have hoped that someone would give a good performance of the music of Platti and here we have it! Brilliant Classics 94007 is the CD and it includes some marvellous and very serious cello music inspired by an association lasting for ten years or more between Platti and a Count (a younger son of a nobleman sent to Italy from Germany to study the violincello). Count Rudolf Franz Erwein Graf von Schonborn from Weisentheid, fairly close to Wurzburg where Platti was employed for 40 years until his death in the early 1760's, had a library that still exists containing 500 handwritings by various composers as well as 150 prints and it would be worth checking for whatever Dresden compositions are to be found there. 60 of Platti's Cello concertos and trio sonatas are apparently still there.

On the question of what did Platti look like there are two different stories. On Ensemble Cordia's CD it is stated that there is no known picture of Platti but in the CD booklet of Platti's only extant religious music it is another matter. They refer to Tiepolo's marvellous frescoes produced in Wurtzburg between 1751 and 1753 where the only known portrait of Platti is to be found.

We must scour frescoes in Dresden to see if somewhere a Zelenka portrait can be found.

Andrew Hinds

Default Re: Remember Ensemble Zefiro & Zelenka's Trio Sonatas

Thank you very much for the information! On this very good CD by Academia Bizantina & Ottavio Dantone:

http://www.amazon.com/Settecento-Ven.../dp/B00005RCFG

there's a Trio Sonata by Platti, but I'd wager you already have the CD

I can recommend Platti as well, I think he is a fine composer and there are a number of very good recordings out there, f.e. the Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin on HM with the virtuosic Cello Concerto, and Epoca Barocca on CPO. As I wrote earlier to Andrew, there is a Dresden link: We don't know if Platti knew Zelenka's music but it could have been the other way around. Pisendel did have a couple of Platti works in his huge collection, and his keyboard music was copied out in 1746 by keyboard player and composer Peter August, who likely was Zelenka's student.

Great story about how Platti's portrait survived. As for frescos here in Dresden, sadly there is nothing left, but the Zwinger ceilings were once richly painted – by court painter Fehling ca. 1717. And yes, there was a musical theme in at least one of them, with the puttis singing, and the gamba, violin and the lute being played, as you can see here in some magnificent pictures: http://www.bildindex.de – and put Musizierende Genien in the search. I think this was the ceiling of the Marmorsaal of the French Pavilion, where some of the concerts took place at that time, that is, the salon next to the Nymphenbad.

Quote Originally Posted by djdresden
    ... there are a number of very good recordings out there, f.e. the Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin on HM with the virtuosic Cello Concerto, and Epoca Barocca on CPO. ...
    There is a wonderful recording of various Platti concertos with the excellent Pratum Integrum orchestra on the Caro Mitis label, including the oboe concerto with Alfredo Bernardini as soloist.
    Osbert