I thought I should add my voice to this debate, taking the "middle path" .

It could be that Adam Viktora and ensemble Inegal wanted to give themselves a small break from the Baroque world. This can be good, because variety in music helps everyone appreciate different periods and styles better -- musicians included. It can help avoid "mechanistic" interpretations of the same repertoire ("Oh no, we have to rehearse for yet another Zelenka mass today").

So, a foray into modern music is not a bad thing. I agree with Alistair that Martinu should receive this (perhaps rare) attention from the Czechs. Martinu wrote some incredibly beautiful vocal madrigals, looking back at the madrigals of the Renaissance, and there is only one long out-of-print recording of them. Even if one is not interested in modern music, those works are approachable and would be worth hearing, they are that good. Then there is the vocal music of Max Reger and Paul Hindemith (think "parallel J.S. Bachs" of a sort). The Bach-inspired motets of Reger are wonderful and underrepresented in the recording catalogue, as are (even more so) Hindemith's mass from 1963 and the Rilke chansons. What about Hindemith's Apparebit repentina dies, or the completely unrecorded Ite Angeli veloces -- these immensely beautiful works need advocates who can perform well in the Renaissance/Baroque style. I only wish Adam Viktora had gone for some of the works above!

Of course, there are (many) works by Zelenka that still need to be recorded, no one can deny that point. Also there are Zelenka's contemporaries: J.J. Fux and Caldara, whose brilliant masses and motets have received so little attention. I would love to see a recording by the Czech groups of a Fux mass, performed properly. In fact, I would love to see a recording with motets by Zelenka, Fux and Caldara on the same CD -- that would be a real celebration!

Obviously I have my preferences over Britten and Arvo Part, as everyone can see, and I will stick to ensemble Inegal's Baroque recordings for now, but the shocking new "modernistic" trend in Adam Viktora's output is not, by itself, that bad, I think.

Finally, I second the idea of a Tomas Kral solo CD! What a great idea.

(By the way, is anyone reading this post who knows Adam Viktora personally, or any of the other Czech groups? If so, then please, by all means let them know the wishlist and my opinions above - you have my royal blessing for this!)