Thread: Zelenka's Miserere ZWV 57

Default Zelenka's Miserere ZWV 57

It is splendid to be able to compare several versions of the same great work. My favourite is on Capriccio 10557. Hermann Max has produced a performance where the pace, grandeur and majesty of the music seem perfect.
    The first bonus on this CD is the opportunity to hear two of Zelenka's Dresden fellow-composers, Heinichen and Hasse.
    The greatest bonus for me is to hear the splendid Cantata (tracks 21 -25) by G A Homilius (1714 - 1785), sometimes described as J S Bach's last pupil. He has written some splendid keyboard music, some of which is superficially so like J S Bach's that it has ended up with BWV numbers. He also spent most of his working life in a Protestant Church in Dresden where 200 of his Cantatas are currently being brought back to life. It is a major rediscovery.
    Homilius's music is full of charm and little subtleties of many kinds. It shows a direction just a little away from his teacher but just listen to the harmony of the final chorale on Capriccio 10557. I want the new Carus label CD's of the Homilius Cantatas as they come out! The first is full of delights.
    In a book on J.S. Bach, I read that Homilius is said to have preferred the music of Zelenka to that of Hasse - a good judge too.
    Last edited by Andrew Hinds; 17-01-2007 at 05:47 PM.

Default Miserere ZWV 57

There will be another recording of ZWV 57 in the spring, in England, involving Fiori Musicali on the Metronome label.

Default Re: Miserere ZWV 57

David Nelson's splendid Survey of Zelenka CD's (that I have discussed with him during several enjoyable meetings in Sussex) is favourable towards but does not put top Hermann Max's version (Capriccio 10557). I have listened again today to it and that wonderful first movement has a perfect rhythm, pace and intensity. Not only that but it is coupled with a rare example of great music by Hasse - his Miserere also in C Minor. There is also a Heinichen Magnificat plus a recording from 10 years earlier of a very fine Advent Cantata by another favourite of mine, G A Homilius. The Homilius work includes mainly different instrumentalists among whom is Alfredo Bernadini whose oboe playing features strongly in a long tenor aria (track 23).

Alfredo Bernardini is the oboist in Ensemble Zefiro's version of Zelenka's Trio Sonatas that I rate above the other versions (unlike David Nelson). Alfredo Bernardini is also a very strong advocate for the music of Giovanni Benedetto Platti (1697 -1763). He is soloist in Platti's Oboe Concerto on Caromitis CM 0052006. This Platti "Antologia" contains four concertos, a Trio Sonata written by someone familiar with Zelenka's music I suspect and a splendid six and a half minute Stabat Mater with a Russian Bass and Alfredo Bernardini again. He is also oboist in Ensemble Cordia's Chamber music CD Brilliant 94007 covering Platti's c.1725 - 1729 Trio Sonatas, very close in date to Zelenka's Trio Sonatas.

I do hope that a few more members can be persuaded to go into print and express their enthusiasms.
    Last edited by Andrew Hinds; 03-07-2012 at 05:09 PM.