Thread: Looking for Zelenka arias for bass voice and small ensemble

Default Looking for Zelenka arias for bass voice and small ensemble

Hello all,

I am a Bass singer and am doing PhD work in Czech art song and opera, but have recently joined a baroque ensemble in Toronto Ontario Canada. I have loved the Czech Baroque and am on the hunt for printed scores, or PDF's of Zelenka arias for Bass voice. In particular, I am looking for the score to Deus Dux Fortissime, ZWV 60. I am willing to pay, but have yet to find a published version of this piece. Any thoughts?

Also, i am fairly new to Zelenka, but have fallen in love with his works. Any other recommendations for Bass arias?

Cheers,

John

Default Re: Looking for Zelenka arias for bass voice and small ensemble

Here are the works for bass voice that Zelenka wrote, taken from the database on Discover Zelenka. ZWV 71 has been recorded, and there is a fine rendition by Tomas Kral available on YouTube.

ZWV 37 Agnus Dei. Key: C. Composed: 1722-c.1724. Type of work: Vocal. [B, solo; SATB, ch.; Ob.; 2Vn.; B.c.] Category: Mass Movement.

ZWV 71 Confitebor tibi Domine. Key: C minor. Composed: 1729. Type of work: Vocal. [B, solo; 2Ob.; 2Vn.; Va.; Org.] Category: Psalm, Magnificat, or Hymn Setting.

ZWV 82 Laudate pueri. Key: F. Composed: c.1725. Type of work: Vocal. [B, solo; SSA, ch.; Tpt.; 2Vn.; Va.; Org.] Category: Psalm, Magnificat, or Hymn Setting.

ZWV 139 Salve Regina. Key: D minor. Composed: 1724. Type of work: Vocal. [B, solo; 2Ob.; 2Vn.; B.c.] Category: Marian Antiphon.

ZWV 165 Motet: Chvalte Boha silného. Key: G. Composed: 1725. Type of work: Vocal. [B, solo; 2Hn.; 2Ob.; 2Vn.; Va.; B.c.] Category: Short Liturgical or Spiritual Work.

ZWV 176 Italian arias, number 8. Key: C. Composed: 1733. Type of work: Vocal. [B, solo (#8); 2Vn.; Va.; B.c.] Category: Secular Vocal Work.

Quote Originally Posted by johnholland2000 View Post
    Hello all,

I am a Bass singer and am doing PhD work in Czech art song and opera, but have recently joined a baroque ensemble in Toronto Ontario Canada. I have loved the Czech Baroque and am on the hunt for printed scores, or PDF's of Zelenka arias for Bass voice. In particular, I am looking for the score to Deus Dux Fortissime, ZWV 60. I am willing to pay, but have yet to find a published version of this piece. Any thoughts?

Also, i am fairly new to Zelenka, but have fallen in love with his works. Any other recommendations for Bass arias?

Cheers,

John
    Hello,

You can find manuscripts made public here : http://digital.slub-dresden.de/kollektionen/
    The ZWV176 (Mus.2358-I-1/a) has the #8 (p97) for Bass.

For the ZWV60, you can purchase a copy of the manuscript and edit your score.

Also there are arias for bass in the masses, check the free scores in the E-downloads.

SK

Quote Originally Posted by skiaouros View Post
    Hello,

You can find manuscripts made public here : http://digital.slub-dresden.de/kollektionen/
    The ZWV176 (Mus.2358-I-1/a) has the #8 (p97) for Bass.

For the ZWV60, you can purchase a copy of the manuscript and edit your score.

Also there are arias for bass in the masses, check the free scores in the E-downloads.

SK
    Thanks for the link! Do you know a good link to purchase a copy of the ZWV60 manuscript? I would gladly do that, but have had trouble finding it through google and the like. Thanks!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Here are the works for bass voice that Zelenka wrote, taken from the database on Discover Zelenka. ZWV 71 has been recorded, and there is a fine rendition by Tomas Kral available on YouTube.

ZWV 37 Agnus Dei. Key: C. Composed: 1722-c.1724. Type of work: Vocal. [B, solo; SATB, ch.; Ob.; 2Vn.; B.c.] Category: Mass Movement.

ZWV 71 Confitebor tibi Domine. Key: C minor. Composed: 1729. Type of work: Vocal. [B, solo; 2Ob.; 2Vn.; Va.; Org.] Category: Psalm, Magnificat, or Hymn Setting.

ZWV 82 Laudate pueri. Key: F. Composed: c.1725. Type of work: Vocal. [B, solo; SSA, ch.; Tpt.; 2Vn.; Va.; Org.] Category: Psalm, Magnificat, or Hymn Setting.

ZWV 139 Salve Regina. Key: D minor. Composed: 1724. Type of work: Vocal. [B, solo; 2Ob.; 2Vn.; B.c.] Category: Marian Antiphon.

ZWV 165 Motet: Chvalte Boha silného. Key: G. Composed: 1725. Type of work: Vocal. [B, solo; 2Hn.; 2Ob.; 2Vn.; Va.; B.c.] Category: Short Liturgical or Spiritual Work.

ZWV 176 Italian arias, number 8. Key: C. Composed: 1733. Type of work: Vocal. [B, solo (#8); 2Vn.; Va.; B.c.] Category: Secular Vocal Work.
    Thanks for the great list!

John

Hello,

You can contact http://www.collegiummarianum.cz/en
    maybe they have a score available.

or

You can get the autograph, but, according to Stockigt's book, it is severely damaged, contact her to know how much. (there is a sample chapter of her book talking about that work at the oup.com site).

To search the manuscript at the Dresden library:
    http://www.slub-dresden.de/en/search/card-catalogues/
    choose "Musikquellen bis 1983" and search "Zelenka" (you need java enabled in your browser)
    the manuscript of ZWV60 is Mus 2358-D-76.

to request a digital copy:
    http://www.slub-dresden.de/en/ask-for-information/
    choose "Collections - Music"

for the price read Digitalisierungsauftrag at
    http://www.slub-dresden.de/en/servic...ning-printing/

Good luck,
    SK