Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell us how you became interested in Zelenka's music

Default Tell us how you became interested in Zelenka's music

Dear All,

I'm curious as to how other people on this forum became interested in Zelenka's music so I've written a survey:

1. How did you become interested in Zelenka's music?:

2. Do you play in an orchestra, play/sing in a chamber group or sing in a choir?:

3. If the answer to question 2 is yes, have you played/sung a work by Zelenka before with any of the groups specified in question 2?:

4. Have you ever attended a live performance of Zelenka's music?:

5. What CDs of Zelenka's music do you own?:

6. What Zelenka scores do you own?:

Cheers,

Shaun

Thought I might get the ball rolling

In late 1999, when I visited a CD store in the Melbourne, Australia and browsed through the classical section, I came the recording of Holliger, Bourgue and Thunemann playing the Sonatas ZWV 181. I started listening to them and got hooked. I subsequently became interested in his orchestral and choral works.

2. Do you play in an orchestra, play/sing in a chamber group or sing in a choir?:

Currently no. I played in the Brisbane Philharmonic Orchestra on Bassoon for five years. I also played in the Queensland Youth Symphony and University of Queensland Symphony Orchestra and several other orchestras around Brisbane Australia where I live.

3. If the answer to question 2 is yes, have you played/sung a work by Zelenka before with any of the groups specified in question 2?:

I played the first two movements of the third sonata from ZWV 181 at the Australian National Music Camp at the Canberra School of Music in January 2001.

In late 2001, I got together with a few friends from University and sightread through the Concerto a 8 ZWV 186. (I can remember it being a very demanding work)

In late 2002, I performed Hipocondrie very badly in an an ameteur chamber orchestra. Also a very demanding work but not as difficult as the Concerto.

In 2003, my chamber trio and I arranged the sixth Sonata for wind trio of clarinet, flute and bassoon. It was at this point that I observed that unlike many other chamber works of the baroque period, Zelenka's sonatas should only be played on the instruments that were specified.

No There was a performance of the Missa Gratias agimus tibi in 2003 by a community choir in Brisbane where I live called the Redcliffe City Chorus conducted by Natasha Kalous who is a local oboe player who has a particular interest in Zelenka's music. A friend of mine sung the Soprano part. Despite regularly doing Google searches of Zelenka concerts I missed this one as it must have only been advertised locally and only found out about it later that year.

5. What CDs/LPs of Zelenka's music do you own?:

Sub Olea Pacis - Supraphon CD
    Sonatas - Archiv CD
    Psalmi - Supraphon CD
    Missa Votiva - Thorophon/Bella Musica CD
    Zelenka: Sacred Music - Hyperion CD
    Lamentation of Jeremiah - Helios CD
    Compositions for Orchestra - Supraphon CD
    Missa Dei Patris- Berlin Classics CD
    Missa in D - Supraphon CD
    Missa Circumcisionis - Christophorus CD
    Hipocondrie, Ouverture a 7, Sonata - Telefunken/Das Alte Werk LP
    Requiem in D Major etc - Supraphon LP
    Oboe Sonatas Vol 2 - Accent LP
    Complete Orchestral Works - CPO CD

6. What Zelenka scores do you own?:[/B]

Sonata ZWV 181, 3
    - Hortus Musicus
    Concerto ZWV 186 - Universal
    Concerto ZWV 186 - Copy of MS
    Requiem in d ZWV 48 - Supraphon
    Lamentations of Jeremiah - Supraphon
    Compositions for Orchestra I - Supraphon
    Psalmi - Supraphon
    Sinfonia to Gesu al Calvario - Microfilm of MS
    Last edited by Shaun Wigley; 01-07-2007 at 08:41 AM.

Default Tell us...

Great idea, Shaun. Here are my answers.

I heard ZWV 68 played on the radio (Thorofon cat. CTH 2181) one Sunday morning in 1997. It took a couple of years to become hooked, mostly by listening to recordings of the late masses (between 1999 and 2002). Then I discovered "the book" in 2001. By 2001-2002 I was convinced that a dedicated website was required to promote Zelenka, and I made contact with Janice Stockigt who was extremely positive and helpful.

No, none of these.

N/A

Yes. In Dresden (16th Sept. 2006).

Virtually all of them, but there are a few rare early ones that I still lack.

None. I can't play music, and my reading of music is primitive, so there's no point. How's that for an admission!
    Last edited by Alistair; 12-01-2007 at 04:36 PM.

Default Questionnaire

1. Hearing one of the DG LP's of the Trio sonatas on BBC Radio 3 in about 1975.
    2. I used to be in the London Junior Orchestra at the back of the 2nd violins. I have sung in amateur choirs from time to time. Now I play my August Forster piano a lot and take lessons from a piano teacher who has a fine 3 CD set of all 5 Beethoven Piano Concertos with the Hungarian State Symphony Orchestra (still obtainable) - Richard Meyrick.
    3. No
    4. Several including a brilliant all Zelenka choral concert as part of the Lufthanse Baroque Music Festival on 13 June 1997 at St James's Church, Piccadilly, London, with Musica Antiqua Koln & Reinhard Goebel.
    5. See my posting on the Countries of origin of my 40 or so CD's.
    6.Just the one score - see my posting about Handel's Largo possibly being a crib! Back in about 1982, I got a photocopy from the British Museum of their version of Missa Circumcisionis at a time when hardly any Zelenka choral music was available on disc. I had by then bought Hortus Musicus books of 4 of the Trio sonatas.
    Andrew Hinds
    Last edited by Andrew Hinds; 17-03-2008 at 02:40 PM.

Default Tell us how you became interested in Zelenka's music

Here is my version:

By chance, listening to Missa Sanctissimae Trinitatis a few months ago, then I searched the Internet and discovered this website and I started building up my collection.

I wish! Unfortunately not, I am a primitive piano player!

N/A

No.

The "outstanding" ones as suggested by the website (http://www.jdzelenka.net/outstanding.php)
    plus a few otheres:
    - The litanies of St. Francis Xavier, Move records
    - O Rose so red, Move records (it contains music from vaious authors, not only by Zelenka
    - Triosonatas with Glaetzner, Goritzki, etc... by Berlin Classics
    which was my firs cd, just because it was the only one at the local music shop!

Laudate pueri ZWV 81

Only the choral part of:
    - Missa Omnium Sanctorum
    - Missa Sanctissimae Trinitatis
    - Missa Dei Patris
    - Missa Dei Filii

Cheers

Beppe

Default Breitkopf Scores

Hi Gippo,

Thanks for you reply. Do the Breitkopf choral scores contain a piano reduction?

Cheers,

Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Wigley
    Hi Gippo,

Thanks for you reply. Do the Breitkopf choral scores contain a piano reduction?

Cheers,

Shaun
    I am afraid they don't!
    Actually all the "Missae" I have are just "Chorpartiture" with sopran, alt, tenor and bass; when I contacted Breitkopf that is what they have got, and send them for free, of course I paid for Laudate Pueri which was in the same order. All the pages have a stamp saying "Probepartitur".

Laudate Pueri instead has the basso continuo with realisation, which is not a piano reduction.

Regards.
    Beppe

Back in 1985, I collected Telemann. One of my mothers friends lend me his orcherter works. Then I was "hooked".

I did play bassoon in several amateur orcherstras and chambergroups before. Then I got married and kids followed..................
    Now Im contend making midifiles of unrecorded Zelenka works.

Aye, 4 of his trio sonatas.

Nope.

Got all works that is recorded on CD, except of 5 arias Zwv 176, Alma redemptoris Mater Zwv 123 and Proh,quos criminis Zwv 172. Might be one or two more Cd out of stock I dont know of.

Zwv 29, Zwv 56, Zwv 181 no. 2,3,4, and 6.

Hello! It is a great idea to set up this forum. Information about HIM is quite hard to get on the internet and I see that the experts already have congregated here. I am glad that I may learn from you!

One of my friends is from Bohemia. She studied piano there and of course she is loving Zelenka's music. Once she gave me some CDs with his music and the first piece of music I listened to was the Miserere ZWV 57. From then on I loved his music.

I am singing in the choir of the University of Trier, Germany.

No, what a pity!

Yes, but only once. The Magnificat in C was part of a live performance together with the Weihnachts-Historie by Schütz.

Quite many, about 30. Still some must-haves are missing, eg. Sub olea pacis and Gesu al Calvaria.

Only the Trio Sonata ZWV 181,5. Saw it on ebay and couldn't resist.

My friends from the choir call me the Zelenka-prophet, as I let them listen to new CDs

David

Hi all,

It has been a while since I started this thread and I'm wondering if any of the newer members of this forum could tell us how they became interested in Zelenka's music.

Cheers,

Shaun