Thread: Downloads of recordings

Default Downloads of recordings

It appears that it will only be a matter of time before the CD format gives way to better-quality downloads (in other words, 24-bit files rather than 16-bit data -- which is what the CD format has to use because of space limitation).

Any ideas about how to handle this in the Discover Zelenka database?

Should there be a separate page dedicated to downloads, or should the downloadable recordings and CD recordings be treated as one commodity?
    Last edited by Alistair; 30-05-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Default Re: Downloads of recordings

Alistair,

I think it would be better to treat a recording as a recording, no matter in what format it is provided, and thus there should be a single list rather than making "das Publicum" have to scour two or more lists to find recordings. (Note that most downloads are still also issued as physical discs, though there are a few little labels popping up with download-only catalogues.)

That raises another issue: would it be useful to include in the recordings database links to various on-line performances, such as Youtube video posts of concerts and TV broadcasts and audio broadcasts and podcasts? I think that with a bit of careful planning this could be achievable without complicating the list too much. The biggest issue may be the impermanence of such links, however, and thus the amount of additional administrative work keeping the list up to date.
    Osbert

Default Re: Downloads of recordings

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

Concerning recordings, I tend to agree with you, at least for the time being. Nobody knows really what form identification of recordings will take when they are eventually "freed" from their CD heritage. So I prefer to wait and see.

Concerning video material, impermanence of performances on YouTube is a big consideration. I have chosen to link to YouTube using their search engine, so that it is just a case of sifting through the Zelenka entries:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...Dismas+Zelenka

I will keep looking at this.

Thanks again.