Thread: Live Recording of Missa Omnium Sanctorum

Thumbs down Live Recording of Missa Omnium Sanctorum

The Luks recording of Missa Omnium Sanctorum (ZWV 21) on Premiereopera Italy that David Nelson has described in his review (http://www.jdzelenka.net/Zelenka_survey.pdf) is interesting. It was recorded live at a concert performance in Prague in the autumn of 2012. Luks takes the first number (Kyrie eleison) quite slowly, but by and large the tempos are fitting. The alto, Kamila Mazalova, certainly does have an "old-fashioned" voice regarding performance, which might be better suited to a 19th century opera!

I didn't find the recording quality to be as bad as David suggested; quite OK actually. On the other hand, the "cover" is a plastic pocket containing an amateurish printout of a front page (on HP Invent paper!) with only essential details of the performers on the other side. There are no cover notes whatsoever, and not even the ZWV number of the work. A poor show for an asking price of 14 euros. I wonder whether this issue (can we call it a commercial issue?) is worthy of a place in the Discover Zelenka database of recordings.
    Last edited by Alistair; 26-06-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Default Re: Live Recording of Missa Omnium Sanctorum

Interesting, this concert by Luks and Collegium 1704 was done in Utrecht: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZNYtML_Zrg
    I guess it is very similar to the one you refer to?

I much preferred Viktora & Inégal's version I must say. Felt richer/sweeter and yet more balanced. I also get rather lost in the Luks, whereas Viktora (for me) keeps it lively.

As for whether it deserves a worthy place in Discover Zelenka, I would say yes it does. The more the merrier I suppose!

Hi there Xanaseb,

I haven´t been able to find anything from Zelenka except for Il Diamante on Premiereopera, maybe is was sold out? But maybe the recording you refer to is this one: http://www.rozhlas.cz/klasika/stream/_zprava/1121341 (online stream)? If it´s really the case, and the amateurish cover only comfirms it, selling it for 14 euros is...weird at least.

Cheers.

The recording of ZWV 21 I was referring to was in CD form, and it was recent. Since I posted this thread, the CD has disappeared from the PremiereOpera.it catalogue. Someone has made a conscious decision to remove it...

By the way, the conductor of the Il Diamante issue (Adam Viktora) had no idea that this recording existed on CD. After all, why would he agree to a live (radio?) recording being issued when there was also a much more professional one recorded especially and issued by Nibiru?