Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Psalm 113 - In exitu Israel, ZWV 83

Default Psalm 113 - In exitu Israel, ZWV 83

Hello, I am new member. Can someone please advise me where can I buy sheet music for this song? I need sheet music for various instruments. Thank you, Ilona

Default Re: Psalm 113 - In exitu Israel, ZWV 83

Hello,

The conductor has been published by Bärenreiter Editio Supraphon Praha:
    Psalmi et Magnificat, Musica Antiqua Bohemica Seria II, n°5, H 4974.

Carus Verlag has recorded a LP 63108 by the Marburger BachChor, Wolfram Wehnert.

A modern interpretation would be nice !

SK

Thank you!!!

Collegium 1704 performed In exitu Israel ZWV 83 in 2007. Although the sound is not good the recording I made at the time shows what an excellent work it is.

https://rapidshare.com/files/3101089...V%2083.m4a.zip

I wanted to start a thread on ZWV 83 but I discovered there already is one, so I'll keep things tidy and just reopen it!

I recently discovered this fascinating work through the recording posted at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnJux9TXqN4

As part of my Zelenka keyboard project I would like to transcribe the Amen fugue, which to my untrained ear, sounds like a rare bit of early 18th century atonality, at least up to the first cadence. I noticed that the autograph in Dresden has not yet been scanned and so also does not appear in IMSLP. Anyone know why this is or if it is imminent? Besides the Bärenreiter edition noted above is there a public domain score available elsewhere?
    @DJDresden - I would love to hear the Luks performance which you posted here some time ago if you still have it (link is dead).

Ultimately it would be fantastic if someone would record this piece - it deserve a lot more attention.

- RNKT

Thumbs up Re: Psalm 113 - In exitu Israel, ZWV 83

Quote Originally Posted by rnkt View Post
    @DJDresden - I would love to hear the Luks performance which you posted here some time ago if you still have it (link is dead).

Ultimately it would be fantastic if someone would record this piece - it deserve a lot more attention.

- RNKT
    As far as I'm aware, the piece in that youtube video by l'infastidito/SVF *is* the Collegium 1704/Luks performance! It's very bad quality audio, but it is definitely them.

And, your wish will be answered, by Ensemble Inégal, and probably very soon. They have already recently performed the first Psalm Cycle live, so I guess they must be recording soon.

As for the score music for zwv 83, I have no clue sadly. That Amen fugue, I am also rather untrained, but I think it's not quite atonal, but highly highly chromatic and unusual for the era!!

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Xanaseb View Post
    As far as I'm aware, the piece in that youtube video by l'infastidito/SVF *is* the Collegium 1704/Luks performance! It's very bad quality audio, but it is definitely them.

And, your wish will be answered, by Ensemble Inégal, and probably very soon. They have already recently performed the first Psalm Cycle live, so I guess they must be recording soon.

As for the score music for zwv 83, I have no clue sadly. That Amen fugue, I am also rather untrained, but I think it's not quite atonal, but highly highly chromatic and unusual for the era!!

Seb
    I now listened again on headphones which were more forgiving than my computer speakers and of course you are right, it is too much of a 21st century period interpretation (!) to be either of the known older recordings (Kühn Mixed Choir 1972 on Panton, Devos 1982 on Erato). I am really looking to get my hands on the Inegal CD when it comes out. Thanks for the tip about that (I also found the other thread on this site about it - should have seen earlier).

"Officially" atonal or not, Zelenka appears to me to deliberately avoid any obvious hints of tonality in that opening passage of the fugue, perhaps because he chose a subject that does not seem to resolve to anything. The tonal context of that first subject seems to me to become clearer when it is presented in the double fugue that follows in the next section. Maybe I am just being ignorant but cannot figure out why more is not being made of this extraordinary work - I know no other baroque (or classical for that matter) composition like it. Even Bach's F-minor fugue of WTC book I does not come close (there the fugue subject definitely resolves). I cannot wait to play this Zelenka fugue on the piano (or even better a big scary organ!).

RNKT

I found this nice live performance on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8WPvt7fOTU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ2NDl7wZgA

The Gloria Patri is so harmonic beauty - what a contrast to the dark contortionist Amen fugue (here, much slower).

Sorry for being a tiny bit offtopic, but I'd like to draw attention to an unknown (that is, not known to such degree as its quality would suggests) fugue by Graupner inside his Concerto in e minor for two flutes, strings and bc. It's been recorded once:

https://youtu.be/d3YZQgfgNPI?t=59

Notice that the flute solo parts originate from the counterpoint.

I think that fugue would befit an organ, not necessarily a piano. If anyone would like to take a shot at a transcription, the manuscript is at the IMSLP: http://conquest.imslp.info/files/img...-Ms-411-35.pdf

Graupner is one of those who should be better known and I eagerly await some more releases of his music...

Update on my ZWV 83 fugue project. I managed to get a copy of the (to my knowledge) only published edition of the work, on loan from the Bavarian State Library.

The fugue is certainly the weirdest 18th century fugue I have ever seen. Ignoring the rhythm, the first subject of the fugue (the poor old altos get the honour!) falls gradually downward: A F# G# E G C# C
    The key is A minor so although the first and last note of the subject belong to the A minor triad, the chromaticism of the notes in between completely cloud the tonality. Why did Zelenka do this? I mean, there must have been a good reason because the singers would have found it extremely difficult to sing because they would never have come across something like that before. They must have rolled their eyes when he put that to them the first time.

I am guessing that there is something encoded into the pitches of the notes of the subject. The question is, can we figure it out?

I made a first attempt. Let's say C=1, C#=2, D=3, D#=4 ..up to B=12. If we replace our fugue subject with numbers we get the sequence: 10 7 9 5 8 2 1. Doesn't look like a very obvious code for something. However, if we add these 7 numbers up, we get 42!! Amazing or what?

OK, can anyone come up with a better theory? Or am I musing on something which has been sussed out (and published in some lofty journal) long ago?!

- RNKT