Thread: A new Zelenka book in Czech

Default A new Zelenka book in Czech

At long last we have a first czech monograph on Zelenka. A title J.D.Zelenka by Jaroslav Smolka was published in December 2006 and it had been long awaited. Professor Smolka is a well known czech authority on Zelenka. Being a musicologist and a composer he submits a detailed analysis of most Zelenka compositions but he also provides all the known facts about Zelenka's life. The book attempts to offer a different "czech" view of our composer and although I cannot directly compare it with Janice Stockigt book I think it succeeds. It is richly illustrated with some previously unpublished manuscripts as well. There is a three pages summary in English (rather poor) for the non-native speaking readers. For the bargain price around 10 Euro... the book can be anyone's collector's item.
    It can be ordered at:

http://www.kosmas.cz/knihy/133061/jan-dismas-zelenka/

Pavel

Default New Zelenka book

Thanks for this information, especially about where to get it. It sounds very cheap to me. Unfortunately I can't navigate around the website because I don't understand a word. Do they have international shipping rates?

Well, I understand, the navigation can be difficult. The procedure is much the same as you are used to. You need to register and choose the way of shipping and a type of payment. I am pretty sure that they send books to any destination. The shipping rates are calculated when the order is completed and you will be notified. It might be easier to contact them first on: info@kosmas.cz
    Hopefuly someone speaks english there...good luck.

Default New Zelenka book

I did what you said, harbin, but they seem not to want overseas trade. I couldn't understand their payment pages very well, but payment by credit card doesn't seem to be an option. They didn't reply (from the above e-mail address) to a request for help in English. djdresden has promised to tell me about an alternative source. Thanks anyway!

Default New Zelenka Book in Czech

The book is easy to obtain! All you need to do is visit Prague. From the Klementium, cross the bridge and walk up towards the Castle. On your left before you climb much at all there is a large shop selling CD's and music books. The Zelenka book is there and it is in paperback with an attractive yellow cover. There are about 340 pages and very few are without pictures, musical illustrations or at least ZWV numbers helping non-linguists to follow some parts of the text. Jaroslav Smolka appears to have done a remarkable job. The very low price made it an easy decision for me to buy it.

My feeling is that a translation needs to be made so that the book can then be printed in English and perhaps German and French for circulation to the wider audience that it deserves. I hope that someone will take up the challenge.
    Andrew Hinds