Thread: Zelenka - Requiem in D Major - ZWV 46

Default Zelenka - Requiem in D Major - ZWV 46

Hi all,

I recently acquired a box of 3 Supraphon LPs which includes a very beautiful recording of Zelenkas Requiem in D Major with Vaclav Neumann and the Czech Philharmonic. Does anyone know whether or not this is the entire work? If not, has the entire work been recorded before?

I particularly love the colourful orchestration of this work. The opening movement for example is scored for 2 flutes, 2 oboes, bassoon, trumpets, horns, timpani, strings and choir in which all the instrumental parts have solo concertante material. If anyone knows of a baroque choral work in which this diversity of instruments is employed in a concertante manner and where a choir is involved, then I would love to hear about it! In my view, this work has a special place and deserves to be recorded more often.

Cheers,

Shaun

Default Requiem ZWV 46

Hello Shaun!

On this 3-LP-Compilation there is not the entire Requiem recorded. A German radio station has made a live-recording some years ago and it is still possible to purchase a copy from them. Try www.mdr.de

Greetings from Trier! David

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. Could you tell me who I need to talk to/email in particular? I don't speak German and was finding it hard to navigate around the site.

Cheers,

Shaun

Default Zelenka - Requiem in D Major - ZWV 46

Hello Shaun!

Now I have figuered out how to get a copy of a recording. Please mail to Ingrid.Duersel@ottonia.de, and tell her that you would like to get a copy of the Requiem. You will get mail from the MDR with a contract to fill out. Hope they speak English there.

Good luck! If there are any problems, please mail me privately: David.Hein (at) gmx (dot) de

David