Thread: Psalmi + The litanies of St. Francis Xavier.

Default Psalmi + The litanies of St. Francis Xavier.

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone that has made this very resourceful website possible. I am not a musician and I am relatively new to Zelenka's music and have only started acquiring cd's within the past year, I now have 19. Whereas, I dearly love them all, if I had to choose my 3 favourites (very difficult) they would be: Te deum with Rademann (The Heinichen mass is a lovely bonus), Holy week responses with Lumen Valo, and The lamentations of Jeremiah (Helios).
    Very recently, I have been trying to obtain the Psalmi (Supraphon) and have not had any luck, it seems to be discontinued. If anyone would know how to buy this cd I would really appreciate that knowledge.
    Secondly, I've been reading somewhat mixed reviews about 'The litanies of St. Francis Xavier' and the very small sound samples available are not enough for me to determine how good this double cd is. Any input would also be very much appreciated.
    I do hope that the Zelenka revival continues and picks up more steam. I do admire him greatly. Thanks in advance for any help.

Default Psalmi + Move CDs

Hi, Brian.

The Move CDs available from Australia are, to my mind, not the last word in professionalism when it comes to performance (this also includes the CD "O Rose So Red"). The soloists are not in the top class, for example. I don't think these were ever meant to be big international releases, even though the sleeve notes etc. are very good. You have to see them as a way of exploring Zelenka works that have not otherwise been recorded.

We have been enjoying a luxury period where many Zelenka recordings have been available, but some of them are now going "out of print". You might have to buy "Psalmi" by scouting through second-hand items on the internet (e.g. through Amazon resellers (Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr etc.). It is quite possible that Supraphon will make more CDs, as they are quite good at prolonging the life of their issues in the catalogue.

Another recording that is sadly becoming unavailable is Bernius' performance of Missa Omnium Sanctorum - the only recording of this (last) mass. The beautiful German cover on Sony Classics has disappeared, and the not-so-beautiful one on Sony Classics from France is quickly disappearing.
    ________
    teen vids
    Last edited by paperMoon; 27-01-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Thanks Papermoon for your reply and insight. I will give the move cd's a pass and hope that in the future other recordings of these works become available.
    I've been doing as you suggest regarding the Psalmi and will continue looking until it shows up. You are dead right about the Missa omnium sanctorum, I ordered it over 2 months ago and it still has not been shipped + the only other seller that I see for it doesn't appear to be reliable of late.
    On another note (slightly off topic), I was very happy with " Il serpente di bronzo" recording which I got about 5 months ago. Since it quickly dissappeared from popular cd sites here in North America, I became curious about what else Adam Viktora and Ensemble Inegal had done. To my delight I discovered yet another Bohemian composer 'Brentner' that they made a cd of (this is the only complete cd dedicated to him). Believe it or not Brentner actually has some very Zelenkaish moments, particularly in his melodies. Roughly I would place him somewhere between Zelenka and Handel, if one can imagine that. Sound samples are available through the czech cd site.
    Probably most Zelenka lovers will already know this, but I bring it up for those who may not.
    Thanks again.

Hello Brian,

for Psalmi you may try some of the czech cd shops, for example:
    http://www.cdklasika.cz/
    Good luck.

Thanks Harbin,

Good news, I got very lucky after months of searching and found a used copy of Psalmi on Amazon.UK yesterday. Needless to say I'm very happy. Also found a copy of Missa Omnium Sancorum on Amazon.FR late last night which made my day complete. Many thanks to yourself and papermoon for your help. Wouldn't it be wonderful if someone like Rademann would take on the project of recording all of Zelenka's vocal works much like Ton Koopman did with the Bach cantatas! One can always live in hope. For now my wife and I are delighted to have Zelenka as an intregal part of our daily lives.

Brian