Thread: Three new masses! (And a maria antiphon...)

Default Three new masses! (And a maria antiphon...)

Hi all,

I discovered three new masses on the public repository. Just downloaded them. I’m excited. Especially ZWV 9 and 10 sound highly interesting. Skiaouros and G. Reuss: thanks for this superb job!

I’m curious what you think of these masses yourselves.

It’s rather silent on our forum, isn’t it? I haven’t got much news too, but maybe someone is interested in a recording of an until now unrecorded work of our bohemian master? It seems to be a legal download, so I don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t mention it here.

Visit http://music.download.com, search under ‘songs’ with ‘Zelenka’. You ‘ll find a live recording of the Alma Redemptoris Mater ZWV 127. (An easy download: you don't have to subscribe or anything like that.) Performers: Andrew Muscat-Clarke, sopranist and Deborah Kayser, soprano and the Australian ensemble Fiato con Brio.

It's an Australian performance, so I guess Jan Stockigt is behind this although I couldn't find anything on the internet about this ensemble. It’s not in all respects a first rank performance but still: always good when musicians bother to perform unknown Zelenka!

Best wishes,
    Peter
    Last edited by Peter; 19-10-2008 at 01:10 AM.

Thanks Peter. I'm at the stage with Zelenka where I don't care what sort of performance it is, as long as they're vaguely in tune and no one falls off the stage with a crash. It's great just to hear him performed and I'll worry about 'authentic' this and 'wobbly soprano' that once they're all recorded and regularly played. Besides, these Aussies do a reasonable job.

The forums may be quiet, but e.g. whenever I have free time I study the notes which Skiaouros sent me :-) If all goes well, I'll announce the project soon: it's probable a certain Zelenka mass will receive its first "modern" performance in 2009. More details will follow when I get some green lights from certain people.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter
    Hi all,

I discovered three new masses on the public repository. Just downloaded them. Iím excited. Especially ZWV 9 and 10 sound highly interesting. Skiaouros and G. Reuss: thanks for this superb job!

Peter
    Hello,

New things :
    - ZWV2 : revised version : ZWV30 (Kyrie, Sanctus)+ ZWV2 (Credo)+ ZWV26 (revised Gloria)
    - ZWV3
    - ZWV4 : Dresden could not digitalize the end of the mass from the autograph... If someone is motivated, there are complete copies in various places (Berlin...).
    - ZWV10,12
    - ZWV9,15,167 : new mp3s

Other things coming :
    - ZWV 2 : unrevised Gloria
    - ZWV 5 : the single surviving bar (maybe someday a score from Russia ?)
    - ZWV 6 : Germund is working on it
    The trumpets 1 & 2 are mostly destroyed in some movements.
    Maybe if some one feels completely reconstructing them, just ask the score.
    - Ristori : Kyrie (bars 1-22) from Litaniae Xaverio, found in Zelenka Studien II
    - Later : ZWV 1 and others : mp3s with words

If you have comments to improve the mp3s, please don't hesitate,
    SK
    Last edited by skiaouros; 25-10-2008 at 11:38 AM.