Thread: Trumpet fanfares ZWV 212

Default Trumpet fanfares ZWV 212

Hi all,

Two questions about a work not discussed earlier on this forum I believe. Does anyone perhaps know of a recording of all six trumpet fanfares (ZWV 212)? It's not difficult to find two or three of them on a disc but I haven't found one CD containing all six of them.

And does anyone know why their authorship is doubtful? Stockigt merely quotes Riedel that they "give an impression of music played as intradas for high feasts and important ceremonies in Viennese court churches".

Best wishes,
    Peter

Hi Peter,

to the best of my knowledge no complete recording exist, I've searched for this for some time. I like these little works a lot, being a sucker for trumpets and timpanis, and harmonic wise there is something very appealing about them.

As for the question of authenticity - the Zelenka Dokumentation/work register gives it as doubtful - there is no title page with Zelenka's name but some of the writing on the parts are in Zelenka's hand, f.e. "Tromba 1", "Tympani" etc.
    In the old Saxon Library Catalogue this had the title: 6 Marcie per la Cavalleria - we don't know if this a title from the composer or a title given at a later date. In the present card catalogue the following is written: Die Zuweisung an Zelenka lasst sich nicht rechtfertigen = The assignment to Zelenka is not justified.

I want to add to this that I have discovered in the Dresden Archives a remarkable document that could shed a light on ZWV 212 and the occasion when this was performed. I just have to dig a little bit deeper to get the full picture and these things take time if they are to be done properly. But I will surely let my friends here on the forum know when the cat is out of the bag.

Cheers!

Hi Djdresden,

Thanks for your illuminating answer. Yes, it's a pity no complete recording seems to exist. There's a robust rhythmic quality in these works that to my ears is very 'Zelenkian'. No chef d'oeuvre of course but a very characteristic and tasteful side dish that certainly deserves to be recorded.

And you certainly know how to create a certain tension on this forum! I believe I still have to thank you for your words about the missing pages of the Diarium. And now you announce some news about ZWV 212. It's certainly worthwile to watch the pages on this forum. By the way: must be great sniffing around in those Dresden archives...

Some other news: it's possible that the Freiburger Barockorchester will release a performance of the Miserere ZWV 57 next year on DHM. And something I found some time ago: http://www.frauke-mekelburg.de/disc.htm#6. A german organist plays some 'fantasias' based on familiar and unfamiliar works of Zelenka. The whole suite can be downloaded. Not highly sensational but nice to hear Zelenka's music in a new context. Give it a try!

Best wishes,
    Peter
    Last edited by Peter; 24-09-2008 at 04:25 PM.