Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make soundtracks of unrecorded works

Default Make soundtracks of unrecorded works

Hi !
    Before i start, I must compliment Alistair for making this forum possible. Wonderful

I got an idea.
    There are too many unrecorded works of our dear composer. Some of you who have already written here, play in a chamber group or larger. I play myself in a little group consisting a singer, treble recorder, flute and classical guitarcontinue( Yeah thats me. My basoon have taken a break for some years because of timelimit; wife, kids, work etc.)

What if we try to get our hands on an unrecorded score and make a soundtrack of it and post it here ? Even if we dont use the orginal instrumentation, we would get an impression how the work sound.

Who knows, perhaps someone with the right connections gets inspired and it ends up in a new recording.

Got the idea from http://www.unheardbeethoven.org/ where they make midifiles from beethovenfragments never recorded. Some of the midifiles have later ended up being recorded.

What do you think about this ?
    Last edited by G.Reuss; 03-04-2006 at 10:47 AM.

Sounds like a great idea. If people are as passionate about Zelenka's music as I am, this should lead to some very interesting recordings.

Greetings from Sweden, and thanks for the compliment.

Hello,

I have recorded 4 excerpts of Missa Divi Xaverii ZWV12 and Regina Coeli ZWV129.
    It is very amateurish, MIDI and sound are not at all polished.
    If you would like to hear that, let me know where to upload the mp3 files (2.43MB).

S.
    Last edited by skiaouros; 08-08-2006 at 11:31 PM.

Yo Skiaouros !

Sorry for late replay. Busy RL put my mind off this site for a while. But Im back!

Yes, I would be delighted to hear your midi version of Missa Divi Xaverii ZWV12 and Regina Coeli ZWV129. Have a feeling you read Stockigt's book and made the midi from there . Can you mail them to me ? I think my e-mail is located somewhere in the MembersList.

I got inspired and wanted to try to make a midi myself of an unrecorded work by our composer. Gippo mentioned this site http://www.tu-dresden.de/slub/MiamiExhibit/music.htm where a page from ZWV1b is displayed.
    I got a trial editor and midi program from http://www.download.com/Vivaldi-Gold...ml?tag=lst-0-1.
    After 2 late evenings I had a midi of the work mentioned above! Cool compotition. Looking forward when its released with real instruments. (Yeah, Im an optimist. It will be released sometime.)
    The difficult part was how to make the choir voices sound not too wierd. I ended up using clarinet-midi for Sopran and Alt, bassoon-midi for Tenor and Bass.
    What midi voices did you use for the choir ?

How to share the midi-file with the forum ?
    I have made a html homepage, very basic but working. But how to download the midi-file from the homepage is still unknown for me. Im a lousy programmer at best. Any ideas ?

Its here I hope our dear forum-master Alistair will take charge and say: "Hey, I make a midi library on this site. Just mail the midi-files to me ! I got too much sparetime anyway." JK, but is it possible for you Alistair ?
    For the site I think its a big boost to have midi-files of unrecorded works by Z.
    Last edited by G.Reuss; 11-10-2006 at 11:57 AM.

"I got too much sparetime anyway." I like that!

Anyway, I have done it, but in a way that doesn't have to involve me all the time. It is best just for responsible people to upload files to a directory. It might not be very fancy, at least in the beginning.

The only problem is security, as I have noticed even now that there are people registering on the forum in order just to spam us! I take away a false name and entries on average once every 2 days.

It means that those interested in participating would have to e-mail me their own choice of username and password (not necessarily the same as that you use for the forum, but it can be if you want), which I would have to enter into a list of priveleged users.

Then you would go to the password-protected directory www.jdzelenka.net/Midi and click on the file "new_upload.php" to see the form for sending your files. This would allow you to upload individual files (max size 20 Mb), remembering that it will probably take several minutes before you will get any confirmation. The form page and the confirmation page have links back to the list of Midi files.

The Midi files can be downloaded from the list by right-clicking on the names.

Is all that clear? It will be once you have sent me a username/password combination and log in to the directory. The name of the Midi file or the inner content must contain meaningful information, as this is the only handle that the file will have. Start with the ZWV number. Any other information will have to be sent to me by e-mail, so that eventually the files can be placed on the website for the general public in a more presentable fashion.

At the moment, this is just to make the idea function for a few individuals, at least until the list of Midi files grows.

Ahhhh splendid news ! Thx Alistair.

Now I really feel inspired to get my hands on unrecorded works and make more midi-files.

G.R

Thanks Skiaouros for uploading your midi files and MP3's of the the Missa Sancta Caeciliae ZWV 1. What a beautiful mass and a great find! Does anyone know of any performances of this work in modern times?

Cheers,

Shaun

Default Unrecorded works

Yes, I agree. Thanks also to G.Reuss who started this idea, and who has hopefully now put ZWV 29 on the "map".

The public repository of electronic files can be reached from the starting page of the Discover Zelenka website.

Best wishes from Sweden.

Hi all,

It turns out there has been atleast one modern performance of ZWV 1. According to the cached Dvorak Society webpage (cached), Alun Cuckston conducted the work on 22nd November 2006 in Leeds, UK.

http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:...u&ct=clnk&cd=1

Whilst on the subject of modern performances of Zelenka's music, does anyone know when the new recording of Missa Votiva with Hans-Christoff Rademann is due for release? Who will be the publisher?

Cheers,

Shaun

Default Dvorak Society Website

Thanks, Shaun, for that Concert information on the Dvorak website. I was a member of the Dvorak Society for several years and one active official of that organisation, Peter Herbert, has written several excellent and very enthusiastic reviews of Zelenka CD's in their newsletters.
    There are several Zelenka concerts mentioned on that site including one due to take place on 29 April 2007 (7.30p.m.) at the Symphony Hall in Birmingham with the Freiburg Baroque Orchestra. The concert begins with Zelenka's Overture 7 Concertante in F (ZWV 188). The group are performing the same Zelenka work in Frankfurt, Germany, on 2 May 2007.
    Andrew Hinds
    Last edited by Andrew Hinds; 16-12-2006 at 02:15 AM.