Thread: What a discovery is this forum for me !

Smile What a discovery is this forum for me !

Dear Zelenka lovers,

I was so suprised and astonished to find this forum!

In the 1990ies I studied musicology in Graz/Austria and I have been loving Zelenka from the day I discovered his trio sonatas. I was so fascinated by this composer that I wrote my thesis about his late masses. I thorougly analyzed the fugues and worked out Zelenkas personal style.
    In (I think it was) 1995 I had two great chances: I was allowed to study Zelenkas Autographs in Dresden for two weeks and I was invited to the Zelenka conference this year where I referred about my results. And I had the luck to get to know Janice Stockight there. A wonderful person; however I can hardly imagine thar she will remenber me.
    Then, for many years my work led me every where else but to Zelenka but I listend to his works from time to time, always loving his music.
    Now I am working in a complete different branch (not as a musicologist) but privatly music is still a main subject for me.

So recently I decided to recherche about Zelenka again and see what new knowledge there is. And I realized that after twenty years of just enjoying this music that my way of thinking about it has changed a lot.
    So I was surprised and pleased to find this platform and I hope to be allowed to talk to you a little bit and also ask you some things I am interested in.

Very best greetings from the "Mozart town" Salzburg,

Monika

Default Re: What a discovery is this forum for me !

Welcome!
    That was a lovely story to hear
    This forum is great for such discussion; the life-blood of Zelenka truly flows through its veins! I hope you enjoy it, and hope to hear from you!

all the best, from "John Barry town (composed the 'Jame Bond' theme... )" York,

Sebastian

That was a lovely story to read, Monika, and thanks, Sebastian, for your ever-positive comments.

Monika, can you perhaps explain what you meant by "my way of thinking about it [Zelenka's music] has changed a lot"?

I guess you have seen the Discover Zelenka website at www.jdzelenka.net

Best wishes from Sweden, home of the forum and website. /Alistair

Dear Sebastian and Alistair, thanks a lot for your friendly and warm welcome !

Alistair, my way of thinking about music generally has changed a lot. Within 20 years one developes a lot and in general the view of the world changes ...

Now I look onto music with a different cosciousness. I think this partly is because I work with people a lot and talk to them very frequently. So I understand a lot more about how (sorry my English is not so good to express such difficult things very well) how human beings ARE and FEEL and how the inner life of us "works". So I see music more in relation to our being and have more understanding about the effect of music on our inside.
    What I now can see is, that Zelenka himself must in a way have been an somehow unbalanced person (one think of the permanent minor/major changes in his harmonic often within one or two bars, as if I would talk english with sudden german words in between).

In the same place he is very highly powerfull, seldom baroque composers bring such a lot of power and velocity into their works, specially into sacred music ! And he must have a rarely high idealism !

And of course I know a great lot of music more now than I did 20 years ago and so I can evaluate his position more clearly. I know more about what was usual at his time and I can definately prove that the music of Zelenka is outstanding within his time and in its way possibly outstanding in musical history in general. His late masses have a kind of independance from outer facts which is really extraordinary.

And, this is an advantage of higher age than 20 ;-), I DARE to think things which are possibly a little bit speculative, because no science community can blame me; I am not part of it ! (a very free feeling!)

This is what I can say very shortly, but probably we could talk about this question a whole pleasant afternoon long, if we would mention more details !
    Possibly we can discuss about some of these details succesively in this place ! I would be very pleased about that !

Very best wishes and greetings,

Monika

Dear Monika,

many thanks for your contribution to the Forum and also to the Zelenka research. I do like what you say about not being a part of the "science community" and the "free feeling" it carries. Trust me, I know this very well!

Jan Stockigt sends you her warmest greetings here from Dresden – she indeed remembers you very well and fondly. We have spent a good time here in Dresden working on, amongst other things, our Zelenka. With him, it's the never ending story – so many things have to be considered when new sources appear, and old things have to be revalued and revisited. These are great times for all of us.

Johannes

Dear Johannes,

how nice of you to answer so promptly ! I was so pleased about your greetings from Jan Stockight! Please also send her my warmest greetings! Do you two live and work in Dresedn? Are you also a musicolgist working on Zelenka?

Regarding the science community: my position has one more advantage: I do not HAVE TO KNOW EVERYTHING. I can be interested in things as I like and nobody will point at me about things I do not know....* Of course on the other hand I have little time to read and inform myself about new research. So I hope to get to know a few things over this homepage and forum.

Specially nice for me was, when I discovered a few months ago, that there is a recording of Missa Omnium Sanctorum, which I knew well by the score, but never had heard before! It was a really great experience to HEAR it for the first time!

By the way: does somebody know, which cantus firmus Zelenka used for his unusual and tender Benedictus in this mass?

Very best greetings,

Monika

Dear Monika,
    May I add my welcome greetings and enjoyment of your enthusiasm! It is remarkable how Zelenka's music communicates, and I respond wholeheartedly to your words: velocity; power; idealism.
    I hope that my very personal response comes through in my CD Survey of his music which you can find tagged on the opening page of www.jdzelenka.net - it's amazing how much of his output is now readily available in really outstanding recordings!
    All my very best wishes from Lewes, Sussex, UK
    David