Thread: 6 Lamentations ZWV 53 recorded by Collegium Marianum

Default 6 Lamentations ZWV 53 recorded by Collegium Marianum

It looks like we have a new high quality recording of Zelenka's masterful Lamentations ZWV 53 to look forward to in September, by
    Jana Semerádová's Collegium Marianum. The soloists are Damien Guillon, countertenor; Daniel Johannsen, tenor; & Tomáš Král, baritone.

Perhaps this could rival the superb version by the Chandos Baroque and Chance/Ainsley/George, which has always held sway for me.

Default Re: 6 Lamentations ZWV 53 recorded by Collegium Marianum

The CD is already available from:

http://cdmusic.cz/inshop/scripts/det...kat=SU41732231

This is a good CD shop near Prague castle. Their mail order service is very good, and the price is very reasonable (12 EUR).

Here's a recent promo/teaser video from Suprahon. Includes interviews with the 3 soloists, who are clearly passionate (nice to hear especially from Král)! Sounds and looks great
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-W8wyGcOEc

I see in the 'about' section that they are also including the Gregorian chant parts of the lamentations as well, to fill in the gaps, as would be heard in court! Great idea, especially if you want to hear both the Lamentations and Responsories together, alternating.
    Last edited by Xanaseb; 09-09-2014 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanaseb View Post
    Here's a recent promo/teaser video from Suprahon. Includes interviews with the 3 soloists, who are clearly passionate (nice to hear especially from Král)! Sounds and looks great
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-W8wyGcOEc

I see in the 'about' section that they are also including the Gregorian chant parts of the lamentations as well, to fill in the gaps, as would be heard in court! Great idea, especially if you want to hear both the Lamentations and Responsories together, alternating.
    It is a great recording, even if I still wouldn't part with the one from hyperion/helios. The gregorian chant part is greatly sung too!

Incidentally, I bought it from qobuz uk (download) but it didn't come with the booklet. A pity, as I would like to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    Perhaps this could rival the superb version by the Chandos Baroque and Chance/Ainsley/George, which has always held sway for me.
    I don't wish to start a willy-willy of argument, but I have always been puzzled by the adulation Carolyn Sampson has received for her eighteenth-century baroque recordings. Her voice is often described as pure and sweet, but I can only hear a sourness, exacerbated by a sagging quality from her too heavy vibrato, and I find her performances generally (not always) not very intelligent. I am bracing myself for the response!
    I do rather like the new Lamentations recording, by the way! Guillon and Johannsen are excellent, but Kral is on an altogether higher plane again.
    Osbert