Thread: Discovery

Default Discovery

On my 14th trip to Prague last February ( 2013) - this is an annual ritual of which my wife and I never tire, we went to a concert for a children's charity in which a young soprano Katerina Knezikova completely bewitched us. When I started to do Google searches for her having failed to find any recordings in the best CD shops in Prague ( yes there are some left!) I was connected to a youtube recording of a Mezzo concert by Vaclav Luks /1704 of the Requiem in D Op 46 by Zelenka. To say I was impressed is an understatement. It was a revelation. In the late 80's I bought a recording of the Lamentations of Jeremiah - loved it - but failed to follow it up. Since there was no Google it was much more difficult then.( remember?) Last year I had insufficient time to search the Prague music shops so I was absolutely amazed to discover literally dozens of recordings by 1704/Lucs and Ensemble Inegal on this years visit. I bought the lot !! and a whole lot more in Cesky Krumlov, which has the best classical CD shop I have ever seen, since Rathbone place shut in London. I have not been disappointed. My only sadness is that I did not know about this 15 years ago. Regrettably Katerina Knezikova does not sing on the Luks recordings but this is not a complaint - only a hope for the future. I was reminded of Emma Kirkby when she was young.
    My latest discovery are the Trio sonatas recorded by ECM. What a disc ! I can't stop playing it . Its like dance music. The second Allegro to number 2 is SO original it reminds me of my discovery of Berlioz's orchestration when I was a student - I nearly fell off my seat with surprise. Up till now I didn't think anyone could hold a candle to Bach - now I am not so sure.
    How do we get this known? Or is it destined to be a secret from the world.
    Actually having found this forum I am amazed at how good it is- thankyou Alistair
    Ian

Default Re: Discovery

apologies - two corrections. Its the FIRST allegro of the Trio Sonata 2 which bowled me over and Katerina Knezikova is singing the Requiem to August 2

http://shelf3d.com/ANpy0luQebs#Jan%2...llegium%201704

Quote Originally Posted by broombank View Post
    On my 14th trip to Prague last February ( 2013) - this is an annual ritual of which my wife and I never tire, we went to a concert for a children's charity in which a young soprano Katerina Knezikova completely bewitched us. When I started to do Google searches for her having failed to find any recordings in the best CD shops in Prague ( yes there are some left!) I was connected to a youtube recording of a Mezzo concert by Vaclav Luks /1704 of the Requiem in D Op 46 by Zelenka. To say I was impressed is an understatement. It was a revelation. In the late 80's I bought a recording of the Lamentations of Jeremiah - loved it - but failed to follow it up. Since there was no Google it was much more difficult then.( remember?) Last year I had insufficient time to search the Prague music shops so I was absolutely amazed to discover literally dozens of recordings by 1704/Lucs and Ensemble Inegal on this years visit. I bought the lot !! and a whole lot more in Cesky Krumlov, which has the best classical CD shop I have ever seen, since Rathbone place shut in London. I have not been disappointed. My only sadness is that I did not know about this 15 years ago. Regrettably Katerina Knezikova does not sing on the Luks recordings but this is not a complaint - only a hope for the future. I was reminded of Emma Kirkby when she was young.
    My latest discovery are the Trio sonatas recorded by ECM. What a disc ! I can't stop playing it . Its like dance music. The second Allegro to number 2 is SO original it reminds me of my discovery of Berlioz's orchestration when I was a student - I nearly fell off my seat with surprise. Up till now I didn't think anyone could hold a candle to Bach - now I am not so sure.
    How do we get this known? Or is it destined to be a secret from the world.
    Actually having found this forum I am amazed at how good it is- thankyou Alistair
    Ian

Default Re: Discovery

Hey Ian. What a great story! There're few things as invigorating as hearing the Zelenka recordings of the past decade or so!
    Make sure to check out this online survey on jdzelenka.net by David Nelson: www.jdzelenka.net/Zelenka_survey.pdf, which I found invaluable in finding out more about the whole discography of recordings of Zelenka-music. He gives great insights into the actual pieces and their contexts too.
    This forum is wonderful indeed, and welcome

Sebastian
    Last edited by Xanaseb; 04-05-2014 at 07:55 PM.