Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New zelenka cd by ensemble inegal

Hybrid View

Talking New zelenka cd by ensemble inegal

ENSEMBLE INEGAL RECORDS "PSALMI VESPERTINI I"
    According to a newsletter I got from Ensemble Inegal today, they are going to record Zelenka's first psalm cycle anno 1725 (if my PC translation from Czech doesn't betray me). The CD follows the first ever complete concert performance of this set of psalms (ZWV 66+72+75+82+83+108+97). Tickets for the concert in Prague on 20 April are also available now, see newsletter: http://ensembleinegal.onquanda.com/newsletter/html/b4cd65616d66dbf8485e03c0b2ae57df/

Zelenka's psalms got some attention in the earlier phases of the modern JDZ revival during the 1970s and early 1980s, but have been strangely neglected by the original instruments ensembles that have dominated from the 1990s and later - until now. Only the "Magnificat" is commercially distributed in adequate interpretations today. Apparently Adam Victora & co. plan to record the more fragmentary 2nd and 3rd cycles as well. And several psalms from those two sets seem never to have been performed at all.

Although I don't know the time schedule, it seems safe to assume that we now can look forward to receiving TWO beautiful Zelenka CD gifts next Christmas - one from Collegium 1704 and one from Ensemble Inegal. I'm sooo excited!!!

PS: My personal favourite among the 1st cycle of Psalms is "Confitebor" ZWV 72, seen as a whole, and the mighty opening chorus from "In exitu Israel" ZWV 83, when speaking about single movements. But the set is also filled with several hauntingly beautiful "Amen" - endings. Does anyone else want to share their personal opinion on this?

SVF

Default Re: New zelenka cd by ensemble inegal

Looking forward a lot to this!

Ensemble Inégal have put up some photos of their premiere concert which was on the 20th of April in Prague (see their Facebook page).
    Adam Viktora also had a brief interview with a Czech program on the channel 'art':
    http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ivysilan...15411000120419
    If you skip to the relevant section(9:46&10:35 mins in), we even hear a few snippets of the music itself, in a rehearsal. Immediately recognisable is the 'Suscepit Israel' section of the Magnificat, sounding marvellous. Then there is an amazing choral leaping section of another psalm, from Beatus Vir - which, in answer to SVF, is my favourite psalm of the collection, packed to the brim with dark drama and virtuosity.

Speaking of the Amen fugues, I simply adore how they link to each other. The famous 'Amen' from the Magnificat takes on a different meaning when it is put in context with the other ones in the cycle - I think it provides a positive angelic answer to their dark highly chromatic feeling.
    Perhaps those fugues have some thematic & structural similarities? They certainly sound like they refer to each other, but that's just an opinion from a musicological layman like me

I wonder if there are more interesting links within this 1725 psalm cycle?
    Last edited by Xanaseb; 05-05-2015 at 12:21 AM.

Now they have the full track listing (and final cover) shown at http://cdmusic.cz/inshop/scripts/det...22939&level=51. The track-listing confirms Alistair's statement above that ZWV 82 (a rather jolly setting of Laudate Pueri) is indeed included. For the seven works on the disc the total time is 79:56, so that is one full disc (4 seconds away from perfection?!). As I mentioned above, to obtain that playing time, they must have been "digging it", so to speak! To give an idea, take the huge opening chorus of ZWV 83 which on the new disc has a play time of 7:02. The three other versions of this chorus play for 8:54 (Kühn mixed choir here), 7:38 (Collegium 1704 live here), 8:04 (A Brazilian ? performance here). To be 36 seconds quicker than the already fast Luks performance is going to take some and we can expect some quite dazzling solo lines there. Same applies to the Magnificat which clocks in at about the same speed as the recording by Capella Piccola, which, David Nelson refers in his survey on this site with "the tempo in the first two sections seems to me much too quick, forcing the soprano and choir almost to gabble".

If Inegal have pulled this off (and with their pedigree there is no reason to suspect that they won't) then this is going to be mind-blowing high-energy disc. Wow, can't wait!!
    Last edited by rnkt; 25-11-2015 at 12:50 AM.

That cover ... I had to laugh . Great!
    Muscular Apotheosis

As for tempi, I guess we'll have to wait and hear

Thank you so much! This is very informative.
    Do we know if they have plans to record all four for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by sgoerzen View Post
    Thank you so much! This is very informative.
    Do we know if they have plans to record all four for sure?
    I remember reading a couple of times that they plan to do 3 CDs, but that is just my memory, which might not be accurate! Both Adam Viktora and Gabriela Eibenova hinted that they'll be doing the next ones. They definitely started this with the intention of doing more of the Vespers Cycles. Their current plans I don't know however (fingers crossed for more!!).

One thing they have done very recently is a few of Bach's 'Early Cantatas' in concert. I would sure like to hear that at home .
    Last edited by Xanaseb; 12-04-2016 at 07:16 PM.

I just noticed here that this disc is scheduled for release on 30.11.2015. Not long to wait!!

Nice mysterious-dramatic looking cover (if that is actually what it will be!). That is so soon!

*UPDATE: CD is now available to purchase. Here at cdmusic.cz, and at the arta.cz link below*

This feels like a spoiler, but here are the liner notes! Jan Stockigt

http://www.arta.cz/index.php?site=en...arch_m=#sleeve
    Last edited by Xanaseb; 26-11-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Here is a "foretaste of the heavenly pleasures", courtesy of Adam Viktora:

https://soundcloud.com/ensemble-ineg...-83-first-part
    Last edited by Alistair; 29-11-2015 at 07:23 AM.