Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New zelenka cd by ensemble inegal

Talking New zelenka cd by ensemble inegal

ENSEMBLE INEGAL RECORDS "PSALMI VESPERTINI I"
    According to a newsletter I got from Ensemble Inegal today, they are going to record Zelenka's first psalm cycle anno 1725 (if my PC translation from Czech doesn't betray me). The CD follows the first ever complete concert performance of this set of psalms (ZWV 66+72+75+82+83+108+97). Tickets for the concert in Prague on 20 April are also available now, see newsletter: http://ensembleinegal.onquanda.com/newsletter/html/b4cd65616d66dbf8485e03c0b2ae57df/

Zelenka's psalms got some attention in the earlier phases of the modern JDZ revival during the 1970s and early 1980s, but have been strangely neglected by the original instruments ensembles that have dominated from the 1990s and later - until now. Only the "Magnificat" is commercially distributed in adequate interpretations today. Apparently Adam Victora & co. plan to record the more fragmentary 2nd and 3rd cycles as well. And several psalms from those two sets seem never to have been performed at all.

Although I don't know the time schedule, it seems safe to assume that we now can look forward to receiving TWO beautiful Zelenka CD gifts next Christmas - one from Collegium 1704 and one from Ensemble Inegal. I'm sooo excited!!!

PS: My personal favourite among the 1st cycle of Psalms is "Confitebor" ZWV 72, seen as a whole, and the mighty opening chorus from "In exitu Israel" ZWV 83, when speaking about single movements. But the set is also filled with several hauntingly beautiful "Amen" - endings. Does anyone else want to share their personal opinion on this?

SVF

Default Re: New zelenka cd by ensemble inegal

Looking forward a lot to this!

Ensemble Inégal have put up some photos of their premiere concert which was on the 20th of April in Prague (see their Facebook page).
    Adam Viktora also had a brief interview with a Czech program on the channel 'art':
    http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ivysilan...15411000120419
    If you skip to the relevant section(9:46&10:35 mins in), we even hear a few snippets of the music itself, in a rehearsal. Immediately recognisable is the 'Suscepit Israel' section of the Magnificat, sounding marvellous. Then there is an amazing choral leaping section of another psalm, from Beatus Vir - which, in answer to SVF, is my favourite psalm of the collection, packed to the brim with dark drama and virtuosity.

Speaking of the Amen fugues, I simply adore how they link to each other. The famous 'Amen' from the Magnificat takes on a different meaning when it is put in context with the other ones in the cycle - I think it provides a positive angelic answer to their dark highly chromatic feeling.
    Perhaps those fugues have some thematic & structural similarities? They certainly sound like they refer to each other, but that's just an opinion from a musicological layman like me

I wonder if there are more interesting links within this 1725 psalm cycle?
    Last edited by Xanaseb; 05-05-2015 at 12:21 AM.

I just noticed here that this disc is scheduled for release on 30.11.2015. Not long to wait!!

Nice mysterious-dramatic looking cover (if that is actually what it will be!). That is so soon!

But.... no ZWV 82 apparently :-( So, apart from the ZWV 108, it's going to be quite an intense (but certainly not dull!) disc. All 7 motets probably wouldn't have fit on a CD unless they took some breakneck tempi (the version reconstructed on youtube is 86 minutes long!). The Mag has been recorded so much (at least the trumpet version) and is now being performed all over the place so I would have thought it could have been left out and ZWV 82 included. Well, difficult choice... roll on 30.11

Hmm, interesting... if true, there must be a good reason for it's omission. Until we see the CD-liner in more detail, I'm hoping that it's just an error. Maybe they will record it and insert it into a future release (Psalmi Vespertini II or III perhaps)? It's easy to forget how much disc space is a restriction for projects like this.

I still can't wait to get my hands on this. Here's a quote from Adam Viktora from an Opera Plus article last year:

"I can tell you that before us again opened the bottomless treasury [of] Zelenka's inventive genius, and that this is an absolutely exceptional music in the European context. It is amazing ... how it is still largely unknown, [and] can be summarized in one word: amazing, incredible and unbelievable a hundred times."

Thank-you Google Translate for that hilarious translation - the "one word" was 'neuvěřitelné', which is (more or less) 'unbelievable' in Czech...
    Last edited by Xanaseb; 17-11-2015 at 06:48 PM.

The works included on this new disc will be ZWV 66, 72, 75, 82, 83, 108, and 97.

I can also tell you that Ensemble Inegal's "resident" soprano Gabriela Eibenova will not feature this time!

Regards to all, Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    The works included on this new disc will be ZWV 66, 72, 75, 82, 83, 108, and 97.
    Thanks, that is a relief! Though I wonder where there will be cuts or extremely fast tempi to fit everything into <80 min

There have been cases of CDs with, somehow, over 85 minutes of playtime. I have no idea how this is possible

Case in point: this Taneyev box: http://www.musicweb-international.co...er_AE15004.htm

*Phew* indeed

Also, just noticed this addendum on the cdmusic.cz wesbite : "(cover artwork will be different)"