Thread: About ZWV 45

Default About ZWV 45

I heard the Requiem in C minor today and considered it is very different from Zelenka' s style. Is it known who his author is?

Default Re: About ZWV 45

As far as I know, it is indeed doubtful and it is not known who actually (if not Zelenka) wrote this piece. Personally, I share your suspicion. I don´t think much about it and although I do have the recording by Dähler, I listened to it maybe twice...it´s just not Zelenka...

I took the liberty to quote from a brilliant CD surveny by David Nelson, which can be found on this site (http://www.jdzelenka.net/Zelenka_survey.pdf):

"Requiem [attrib. Zelenka] [date unknown – manuscript 1763 – ZWV 45, in the key of C minor]
    Copies of several of Zelenka’s works did in fact “escape” to Prague. This manuscript is dated
    1763 and is unsigned, and there is dispute as to whether it is actually by him. Paradoxically, there
    have been three recordings!..."

Cheers ;-)

Odie

Hi SimE,

Please see this thread, where there's a good discussion on the ZWV 45 Requiem: http://www.jdzelenka.net/forums/show...-J-C-F-Fischer . Many alternative composers are suggested, but nothing agreed upon. It's quite an old thread, so I wonder if there are any changes in opinion from any of the posters, or if there has been any updates elsewhere in any literature.

I personally still haven't even listened to anything past the first few minutes of the Intro(Requiem) (!), it sounded so alien to me, and I immediately thought it wasn't Zelenka's work... I should probably try again though!

Sebastian

Thanks ! I read it.