Thread: Zelenka Litaniae Xaverianae 154, 155 and 156

Default Zelenka Litaniae Xaverianae 154, 155 and 156

I am looking for the original texts, so in Latin. I believe these three works have not exactly the same text. At least 'ora pro nobis' and/or 'miserere nobis' is added or left out at different places. That's why I would like to have all of them. But if anyone has only 155 for me, I will be already very thankful. Sarah C. Eijkelboom-Holland
    Last edited by COM&D; 07-07-2015 at 11:59 PM. Reason: looking for information

Default Re: Zelenka Litaniae Xaverianae 154, 155 and 156

You can find them all at imspl.org. For example http://imslp.org/wiki/Litaniae_Xaver..._Jan_Dismas%29

Oh dear, I'm sorry. I meant the words. Of course I know the manuscripts on IMSLP, it's those that I use!
    There are two (and a lot more) problems.
    1) 154, 155 and 156 have different tekst (so words). 'Ora pro nobis' etc. is added at different places. Sometimes I think (but I am not sure) the differences are even bigger.
    2) I find the Latin words very hard to read in Zelenkas German-like handwriting, especially so beause I don't know what it should be. I mean: a ordinary mass is no problem because I know what it must be.
    I want to compare the three versions, and then the first thing is to analyse how Zelenka treats the text: were he puts the choir, were an aria, how often he lets the words 'miserere nobis' etc. return etc. etc.
    If I make a print of all three version and I spend a great lot of time I think I will manage, but if I have the words seperate, like in a cd-booklet, it will save me hours and hours.
    I hope someone can give a tip.
    I am afraid, only of 155 is a recording - and so perhaps a cd-booklet. But as I wrote, prehaps that is already enough to solve al my problems.

Gerhard Poppe has written about the litany tradition in Dresden and the nuances of the texts used. I can’t remember if they are given in an appendix.

See Gerhard Poppe, "Devotio Xaveriana" und ihre Musik in der Katholischen Hofkirche zu Dresden. Schnell & Steiner, 2002 - 35 pages. Perhaps your library has a copy.

But if I were you I’d work on it the hard way, by studying and learning Zelenka’s sometimes difficult, but most beautiful and personal handwriting. You will be richly rewarded.

Johannes

Dear Johannes, OK, I will. In any case, when no one comes up with an other suggestion I'll have to.