Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zelenka UK concerts Missa Dei Filii & more: London & Bury Court Opera

Default Zelenka UK concerts Missa Dei Filii & more: London & Bury Court Opera

Period ensemble, Spiritato!, and Barts Chamber Choir are performing a wide-ranging and colourful Zelenka programme this Autumn, promoted by Bury Court Opera.
    The dates are: Tuesday 20th October at St. John's Smith Square, London, and Sunday 1st November at Bury Court Barn, Bentley, Hampshire.

Here's the concert music list:
    ZWV 212, Trumpet fanfare I
    ZWV 61, Il Serpente di Bronzo - Opening and closing Coro
    ZWV 181, Trio Sonata No.3 in B-flat major
    BWV 50, Nun ist das Heil und die Kraft
    ZWV 177, Il Diamante - Sinfonia, Terra's Recitative and Arias 2 and 3
    ZWV 212, Trumpet fanfare II
    ZWV 20, Missa Dei Filii

Eliana Pretorian is singing solo soprano, Magid El-Bushra, counter-tenor/alto, and bass & tenor solos will be taken from members of Barts Chamber Choir. Julian Perkins, harpsichordist and conductor, is directing the concerts.

The selection of pieces is quite impressive, and showcases Zelenka's joyous energy and style. I am looking very much forward to coming to the Bury Court date myself.
    I hope others here might be able to come along to one of the concerts too!

Info & tickets: http://burycourtopera.org/events/
    London link: http://www.sjss.org.uk/events/bury-court-opera

Links for:
    Spiritato! - www.spiritato.co.uk
    Barts Chamber - http://www.bartschoir.com/index.php?...=34&Itemid=152
    Julian Perkins - www.julianperkins.com

All the best,

Sebastian
    Last edited by Xanaseb; 06-10-2015 at 09:32 AM.

Default Re: Zelenka UK concerts Missa Dei Filii & more: London & Bury Court Opera

By extraordinary coincidence, another London group is performing the Sinfonia from Il Diamante as well in October.

The concert is Sunday 4th October at St' Peter's Church, Belsize Park.

Baroque Boom & Bust

Zelenka - Il Diamante
    JS Bach - Concerto for 3 violins in D
    JS Bach - Sinfonia in F BWV 1046a
    Telemann - La Bourse Ouverture

Sounds like a bit of a Zelenka jamboree in London during October.

Further info here

Default Re: Zelenka UK concerts Missa Dei Filii & more: London & Bury Court Opera

Just a reminder for the two soon-to-be concerts with Bury Court Opera:

20th October (next Tuesday!) - London, St John Smith's Square, 7:30pm

1st November (a Sunday) - Bury Court, Bentley (near Farnham), Surrey, 5:00pm (doors open at 4pm)

A personal note:
    A couple months ago I was in frequent contact with the director, Julian Perkins, to help in the sourcing of the Zelenka pieces. It took some time, but it was successful!
    I drew upon the great resources of fellow jdzelenka.net forum members. It would not have been possible without the timely help and advice of all those involved.
    Thank-you!

Sebastian

anyone know if it will be recorded (e.g. for BBC R3)? I've no chance to be on the island in the next few weeks :-(

I doubt there'll be a proper recording or broadcast, but I will have my phone (flight mode of course :P) microphone on, so I can send it across to anyone who'd be interested. It won't be very good audio quality sadly.
    And I'll be taking quite a few photos too

Sebastian

Quote Originally Posted by Xanaseb View Post
    I doubt there'll be a proper recording or broadcast, but I will have my phone (flight mode of course :P) microphone on, so I can send it across to anyone who'd be interested. It won't be very good audio quality sadly.
    And I'll be taking quite a few photos too

Sebastian
    Thanks, but don't go too crazy trying to get a good recording with a smartphone - I tried this a few weeks back at the (world premiere!) performance of my organ arrangement of the Quoniam from Josephi and it was too miserable to share (it was during a kids' church service, so I was asking for trouble). The main thing is, enjoy the moment, a rare moment with so much great Zelenka music being performed LIVE! Hope it will be a great concert this evening. I hope the acoustics will be better than expected - I am not sure Zelenka quite intended his works to be performed in a barn . And let's hope it is a springboard for even bigger Zelenka projects in the UK. A Zelenka Prom, even a late-night one, would be very nice and probably enough to tempt me over there!

(thanks also for your email - I could not reply because the system says your mailbox is full )

rnkt

Cheers for the advice and the heads up about my inbox - deleting msgs ASAP.
    Nice to hear you did that Quoniam on Organ!

Tonight's concert is happening in Westminster, London, in a great English Baroque Church building, which is now just used as a regular concert venue:
    http://www.sjss.org.uk/about-us

It's *next Sunday's* concert which will be at Bury Court Barn. I had a few reservations about the venue too, but the organisers reassure that the acoustics are fantastic. It is designed for more intimate concerts and operas, so it should be a nice atmosphere that suits the first half maybe more than the second half - can't wait

As for the springboard idea - a Prom event would be a tremendous occasion indeed. You never know

Sebastian

A quartet of "Discover Zelenka" people from East Sussex were in the audience and were delighted that so much Zelenka - a really good and varied programme - was given. A disappointment was that the Church was hardly half full when so much excellent singing and playing were on view.

The trumpet fanfares were excellent (or were they Clarinos!?). Special mention for the soloists, Magid El-Bushra (counter tenor) and Augusta Hebbert (soprano) who replaced the advertised soprano is hugely deserved. Both of them tackled some extraordinarily complex nusic with great skill and perfect tunefulness. The orchestra and choir were of a far higher standard than I had been expecting and kept up with Julian Perkins's sometimes relentless speeds without obvious difficulty. Inclusion of one of the Trio Sonatas was a very good idea and we all felt for the lady bassoonist almost blown to bits in the second movement that, when it was over, brought an involuntary clap from the uninitiated!

I hope that there will be a deserved full house at the second performance of this music on November 1st at Bury Court.

Thank you, Sebastian.

Andrew Hinds
    Last edited by Andrew Hinds; 21-10-2015 at 01:30 PM.

That made my day Andrew! Thanks!
    Super-glad to hear the evening was so good. Considering the short amount of time they all had to practice these multiple works, I'm glad and relieved. Sad to hear about the attendance though, I guess it needed more publicity... But at least it was a great treat for those who went ('Discover Zelenka' quartet - nice!).

"The trumpet fanfares were excellent (or were they Clarinos!?)"
    ...Oooh, interesting

Sebastian

I attended this one, well actually I attended both concerts. There were some last minute changes for the Bury Court one this week, including the cut of the Il Diamante sinfonia and one of the Il Serpente arias that they had intended to perform. I think part of the reason is that they had no plans to use flautists (there will not be room at Bury Court). Therefore the sinfonia was dropped, and the minimal flute obbligati in the oratorio were played on violins. Nevertheless, there was plenty of music and certainly no room for any more than they presented! It turned out to be a well chosen and varied programme. The trio sonata in particular was astoundingly well performed. It was very disappointing on the poor audience turn out. St John Smith Square is a very expensive venue, so I hope they didn't take too much of a loss particularly as this may discourage performance of Zelenka.

The aria from Il Diamante worked very well and showed a real operatic bravura side of Zelenka. Augusta Hebbert was wonderful singing it. The mass was fantastic, not many choirs can tackle a work like that. The natural trumpets were also welcome. What a great way to give them more to do in the concert (other than the fanfares they only played in the Bach) while presenting more Zelenka.

I think Bury Court will be a better venue and better attended I would think. It's a shame I cannot be at that one.

The other concert was nice, with a mostly Bach programme showcasing the horns and violin virtuoso players from the Royal College of Music. It had a good turn out and gave a good case for wind orientated Dresden orchestra music.