Thread: Zelenka, the perfect VIRTUOS!

Default Zelenka, the perfect VIRTUOS!

Friends,

the most wonderful thing has happened, an unknown poem of praise from 1740 about the Dresden Orchestra has been discovered and put online in the University Library in Halle, Germany. Called "Virtuosen", It was written by Johann Gottlob Kittel, whose name is well known in the Bach literature since he wrote the famous poem about Bach in 1731.

Parts of the Virtuosen poem were presented by Dr. Szymon Paczkowski during last years Belfast conference on Bach's Mass in B-minor which I will report on later in the Bach/Zelenka thread. I admit at the time my jaw fell to the floor. And now it's in the open and for everyone to see.

Our knowledge about the orchestra in Dresden and Zelenka is greatly riched by this; Now we can see how much his music was cheerished and the effect it had. Here is the Zelenka part and the Butz one as well, because we now can see that Zelenka was his teacher. Once again I lament the loss of all his works bar one, and we really need to hear his sole surviving mass one day. I've done a very rough translation which should give a good idea on how important this is:

Zelenca ward hierauff von Phoebus auch erblicket,
    Der dessen billig Lob, wie folget, ausgedrücket:
    Du hochgepriesener, vollkommner VIRTUOS,
    Dein selbst erworbner Rühm ist Weltbekannt und gros;
    Du kanst zu GOttes Ehr, die Seelen zu ergözen,
    Auf das beweglichste de Kirchen-Stücken sezen,
    Die also rührend sind, das die andächtge Brust
    Den Vorschmact schon empfindt von jener himmelsluft;
    Dahero wird Dein Lob nach Deinen Nahmen grünen*,
    Sowohl auf Erden hier, als in den Sternen Bühnen.

*Zelenka means green in German.

Zelenca was then also seen by Phoebus,
    who rightly praised him as follows:
    You most highly praised, perfect VIRTUOS,
    Your self-gained fame is world-renowned and great;
    You can for the Glory of God, delight the Soul,
    and movingly compose Church Music,
    which is so touching, that the devotional Breast
    already experiences the Foretaste of Pleasures of Heavens;
    Therefore Your Praise will blossom/green* according to Your Name,
    Both here on Earth and on the Stage of the Stars.

Nun wend ich mich zu Dir, mein aufgeweckter Butz,
    Du schaffst beym Gottes-Dienst nicht minder vielen Nutz,
    Denn als Compositeur von denen Kirchen-Stücken
    Bist Du in diese Zunfft (?) auch billig einzurücken;
    Ja die profunde kunst und seltne Wissenschaft
    Von dem Zelenca hat an Dir also gehafft,
    Das Du auch dermahleinst, wei schon die Proben zeigen,
    Biß auf den Gipffel wirst als wie Dein Meister steigen.

Now I turn to you, my bright Butz,
    You bring to divine service not less use,
    because as a composer of church music
    You are in this guild also fairly engaged;
    Yes, the profound art and rare knowledge
    that Zelenca had seen in You,
    so that You will also one day like the examples show,
    rise to the top like Your Master.

The whole poem can be seen at: https://141.48.65.178/hd/content/titleinfo/10429
    I urge everyone to print it, find a friend who understands German, or get the German dictionary out and work on it as it is well worth the effort. Enjoy this great moment in Zelenka history!

Default Virtuos

Many thanks for this piece of extremely valuable information. I have already printed it out with a view to having it translated (first into Swedish!). I found that I had to save the individual graphics files on my computer and then print them one by one.

You said that Zelenka means green in German; you presumably meant in Slavic languages like Czech?

This is indeed something very special. Thanks again for sharing it with us. You are our one and only true link to the professional musicologists!

Dear friends,

in order to avoid a small confusion, I would try to explicate the real meaning of the name "Zelenka" in the Czech language. The name as such does not mean exactly the adjective "green" in English or "grün" in German, but something like "the green man".

Zelenka is a very common name in nowadays Czech Republic. Jan Dismas Zelenka was a Czech by origin, and he felt to be a Czech during his lifetime, although he lived in Saxonia so long. Much of the specific beauty of his music is, in my opinion, to be attributed to his origin from Bohemia (part of the then Bohemian Kingdom, now Czech Republic). For the Czechs, his name stands for the best of Bohemian and Moravian baroque music, together with Vanhal, Myslivecek, Ryba and others.

Mathon

Friends, greetings from Dresden.

Now the beautiful facsimile of the Virtuosen poem has been published by the kind people at ORTUS Verlag whose virtues I have mentioned before here in the Forum, they are Saxons at heart. I got my copy at the best cd shop here, OPUS 61. Do order a copy from them, it only costs 5 euros and is a must for every Zelenka collector. Susanne will hook you uo with a copy, send her a mail at: post@opusweb.de

Musikhaus Opus 61
    Wallstr. 17-19
    01067 Dresden
    Tel. 0351 - 486 1748
    Fax 0351 - 486 1749
    post@opusweb.de
    www.opusweb.de

Dresden is great as always, things just don't get better than walking around this city of dreams with Zelenka's music in the headphones. I am here for six weeks of research for my Ristori project but already there are surprising twists and turns when it comes to the sources. More later!

Best wishes,
    Johannes

Thank you so much for sharing, DJDresden! I'm writing a paper on Zelenka and just today I was trying to come up with a powerful introduction, and this poem is perfect! Thanks again for inspiring me

Default Re: Zelenka, the perfect VIRTUOS!

Friends, greetings from Dresden.

Now the beautiful facsimile of the Virtuosen poem has been published by the kind people at ORTUS Verlag whose virtues I have mentioned before here in the Forum, they are Saxons at heart. I got my copy at the best cd shop here, OPUS 61. Do order a copy from them, it only costs 5 euros and is a must for every Zelenka collector. Susanne will hook you uo with a copy, send her a mail at: post@opusweb.de

Musikhaus Opus 61
    Wallstr. 17-19
    01067 Dresden
    Tel. 0351 - 486 1748
    Fax 0351 - 486 1749
    post@opusweb.de
    www.opusweb.de

Dresden is great as always, things just don't get better than walking around this city of dreams with Zelenka's music in the headphones. I am here for six weeks of research for my Ristori project but already there are surprising twists and turns when it comes to the sources. More later!
    thanks for sharing useful ideas and nice discussion,..
    Great discount on sunglasses and watches also on shoes.

Indeed a true love presented towards Zelenka in this poem.

I have translated through Google translation, may be not 100% accurate translation but enough to understand this great piece of work.
    Last edited by mighty; 21-08-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Really impressive poem. I know Zelenka to be one of the national hero in Czechia.